PDA

View Full Version : hello from rochester UK

dreamer
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
hello all,

just introducing myself...new to TMBG...what a day ive had...the 'lightbulb' above my head was switched on today...after three months of learning scales and getting disheartened somewhat, ive finally realised that its all about PATTERNS and using the same pattern anywhere on the neck will give you the same scale...what i need to know is that if the pattern is used anywhere on the neck is it the same name of the scale...????

also once you get to the fifth note on any scale, you can start another scale...this is a HUGE revelation for me...its like ive been transported to another level in my playing...??? and this has spurred me on to continue learning as much as possible.

songs learned so far, using TABS ofcourse, are Fire on the Mountain, Estimated Prophet - Grateful Dead. Bad, Billie Jean, Thriller - Michael Jackson. Natural Mystic, Coming in from the cold - Bob Marley and a number of others....i dont wish to bore you all with any more songs...

regards to all,
dreamer

BASS is ACE

thunderman
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey, Dreamer -

Welcome to the conversation(s). I know what you mean about the light bulb coming on. It's like the sun coming out! You look back and wonder, 'why did I not get that in the first place?' (That happens to me about once a day!) Anyway, thanks for sharing. It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one who spends a lot of time in the dark...

Thunder on!

P.S. Should that be 'epiphanies'? I think so...

Kegs
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey there, Dreamer, welcome along. I'm new too, haven't had much time to find my way around but it all seems pretty cool. Nice to see a fellow South of Englander on the boards. Look forward to a chat sometime.

Cheers for now.........Kegs.

Elmeaux
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Hello, Dreamer!! Welcome to the mob! We all need to know where you stand on Muppets...:cool:

TobiasMan
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Welcome. It is amazing what a skilled instructor can bring to light, eh?

This material is full of those kinds of "eureka" moments. :cool:

Enjoy!

SilverFlame46
07-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey Dreamer, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. You will be amazed at what you are able to learn just by participating in this forum. So don't be a stranger, we want to hear from you often!!!

Kegs
07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Hey Dreamer, I tried to send you a private message but got the message that you weren't accepting them. I'm away until next week but catch up with you then.

Cheers for now........Kegs.

TobiasMan
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
. . . Hey Dreamer, I tried to send you a private message but got the message that you weren't accepting them. . .

Probably means that he hasn't been into his profile to set those up (turn them on) yet. :)

Greg Jewell
07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Hello Dreamer, and welcome to the Bass Place. I think you may have replaced me as the new "new-guy". I look forward to learning the TMBG program with you, and as you can see, you have embraced an engaging support group...

Greg

dreamer
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
hello thunderrow,

thanks to everyone that replied to my initial posts..it made me feel welcome...thank you. i shall attempt to bare my soul and let you all know a 'little' about me...its not something i particularly relish as id rather be not known amongst you all. because i guard my heart after being spiritually raped by christians whom i thought were my friends.

anyway,that is another story... i was born in glasgow in the late 50's and after a life of ups and downs, more downs than ups, i find myself living in kent, UK. I dont have a home, am single, no kids, though i do have a job which is a rare thing especially in this recession. if i had the opportunity, i would love to have my 'own cave' and invite people over in evenings which i cant really do, as its not my house where i live.

my love for music has always been with me. i started out as a self-taught saxophonist, alto and soprano sax...then for some reason i gave it all up...now i am back and am loving the bass...even though i cant play it yet, the way i want to play it. not to worry, i am putting in a heap of practice time each day...about three hours a day.

at work i have set myself up a 'recording studio'...i wish...its only a small hut, away from everyone, where i can learn my scales without bothering people, this all happens during my lunch break. there is my first hour of practice...once i get home, which is a rented room from my landlady, the guitar gets picked up straight away...and off my fingers go again...i only wish i could control them more.

i have one wish before i die and that is to pay my respects to my sister whom i lost at sea 500 miles off the coast
of Namibia...for that i require a yacht so i can reach the last known position... pray for my wish to come true. i know this is not the right 'newsgroup' for such things...forgive me for even entering this paragraph as its not relevant.

my possessions, which i can fit into my tiny car include two guitars. my practice guitar stays at work, my favorite guitar stays at home...it is a thunderbird 4 pro...natural wood finish. and although i am the 'newbie' in thunderrow and am still learning scales, i have come a long way in a couple of months and am about to start lesson 5 in TMBG. i am hoping to make some aquaintances and learn more of this new instrument that i stand in awe of. to my teacher roy...if i am able to be half as good a player as you are at the end of the TMBG course, then i will have achieved way beyond what i thought was ever achievable for me...and for that, i thank you.

regards,
dreamer

TobiasMan
07-22-2010, 07:11 PM
We're here for ya, Dreamer.

Quite a story, but I'm hoping that things continue to work out for the best . . . :)

SilverFlame46
07-22-2010, 09:08 PM
i have one wish before i die and that is to pay my respects to my sister whom i lost at sea 500 miles off the coast of Namibia...for that i require a yacht so i can reach the last known position... pray for my wish to come true. i know this is not the right 'newsgroup' for such things...forgive me for even entering this paragraph as its not relevant.

Hey Dreamer, you do not need to apologize for anything. Here at Thunder Row and TMBG we are family and your concerns are our concerns. Our thoughts are with you and I hope everything works out for you as you wish them to.!!!

Elmeaux
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
What he said. Twice. There are many happy and fun vibes here. Bask in them.

:)