PDA

View Full Version : Why do both of these notes work?

TroyJames
12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Listening to, "Can't You See" by Marshall Tucker Band and figuring it out how to play on the bass. I figured out pretty quick it's I-V-IV in the key of D. I play root-5 through the changes (D, A, G) but I hear that sometimes the 5 for the G, played E 7th fret on the A string, doesn't always sound good. I think maybe it's a minor and find that playing augmented 5th for that G sounds pretty good. I'm curious to what's going on here. Do the regular 5th and the augmented both sound good because both notes are in the D minor scale? Sorry for the wordiness of this post and for any confusion. I'm still building my musical vocabulary.

Marshall Tucker Band Can't You See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEOV5vWfSgI

Bassix
12-04-2011, 05:12 PM
The 5th for the G chord is D. If you're playing A string, 7th fret, then you're actually playing the sixth ("E") of the G chord. As to sliding a half step up from the sixth (i.e., playing a flatted 7th), that note will often sound good even if it's technically not in that chord, of course depending how you use it. Did I totally misunderstand the question you were asking?

line6bassman
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Listening to, "Can't You See" by Marshall Tucker Band and figuring it out how to play on the bass. I figured out pretty quick it's I-V-IV in the key of D. I play root-5 through the changes (D, A, G) but I hear that sometimes the 5 for the G, played E 7th fret on the A string, doesn't always sound good. I think maybe it's a minor and find that playing augmented 5th for that G sounds pretty good. I'm curious to what's going on here. Do the regular 5th and the augmented both sound good because both notes are in the D minor scale? Sorry for the wordiness of this post and for any confusion. I'm still building my musical vocabulary.

Marshall Tucker Band Can't You See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEOV5vWfSgI

Hey Troy!! The actual chord change on that song is D, C, G not D, A, G. The song is pretty straight forward through out and also has a lot of muted notes while in each chord. So change your playing in each chord to what I think your doing right to a mute note after your first full note then two full sounding notes and keep it like that through the whole song!! That's basically it.

Line6bassman

PS. I guess one other thing is I don't see any E notes in this song. Also at the end of the song I'm not sure if this is right but you can use a double stop at end which is a D & A note played on D-5th fret A string. and A-7th fret D string. Hope that helps? So GO HEAD!! With your self!! O!! The double stop thing is for when you're feeling like you do to end the song try it you might like it!! But remember to play it at a 150 beats per half seconds!! HE!!HE!!

TroyJames
12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Cool, thanks Line6. So the changes are I-VIIb-IV. So that would make this song in D melodic minor and would explain why the E and F both work as they would be the 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks Bassix. No, you got it. I however was off but I learned some good info from your post. I'm always trying to listen for what sounds good even when it's unexpected.