PDA

View Full Version : And now, for your listening pleasure ....

slejhamer
12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
It's the TMBG Funk Jam!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11263987 (http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11263987)

The players are:

slejhamer: 0:00-0:55
TroyJames: 0:55-1:44
Bassix: 1:44-2:33
Elmeaux: 2:33-3:21
Bruce Alan: 3:22-end
Nicely done, my fellow jammers!

david
12-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Fantastic! I loved the groove. You all slipped right into the "pocket". Well done. Encore!
Ed.

TroyJames
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
A big thank you for letting me be part of this and for all the work you put into getting this together. You guys made some really nice music here and it gives me something to try to emulate!

TobiasMan
12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Sounding very good indeed. Different styles but all hitting the groove!!! Well done.

Thanks for putting that together Slej! :cool:

Elmeaux
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for putting it all together, slej!

line6bassman
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Go Head!!!! You bass braves y'all!!!!

Rubbersoul
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Well done everyone, great stuff.

DONNIE B
12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Very well done , Iam proud to say that i know all of you from the ROW , THAT SOUND makes me want too work harder. it is as smooth as frog hair.i really love that sound.so THANKS TO SLEJHAMER , TROW JAMES, BASSIS, ELMEAUX, BRUCE ALAN.ALL of you are now my favorite new,JAZZ AND FUNK BAND,YAL really laid it down.i think you left us all wanting more. i know i do

Elmeaux
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Next time we do one of these, will you try and lay down a bassline for the cause? We'd love to have ya in the band!!

Bassix
12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Next time we do one of these, will you try and lay down a bassline for the cause? We'd love to have ya in the band!!

Yeah, Donnie! Go for it!! :D

To my Funk Brothers and Sister (hope Motown doesn't come after me for infringement :)) - each of you had a different story to tell, told it in your unique way and I enjoyed listening to you. Thanks for putting this jam together, Slej!

P.S. The TMBG Funk Jam is rising on the charts...no. 3 in the the funk category. Lol! :cool:

Bruce Alan
12-07-2011, 01:40 AM
...each of you had a different story to tell, told it in your unique way and I enjoyed listening to you.

That's exactly what I found so cool upon listening - four other interpretations of how this should have gone. And each one I thought "heck, I never even imagined that approach!" Great work everyone and thank you to slejhamer for all the work and patience. This was fun.

slejhamer
12-07-2011, 05:21 AM
It was a pleasure, folks!

And when I grow up, I'd like to get some proper monitors ... mixing on computer speakers just doesn't do it!

Bruce Alan
12-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Oh man, when you finally get to do that, your ears will pop off your head for all the things you don't hear on computer monitors! You'll love it. When I made the switch years ago from bad studio monitors to decent ones, the difference was shocking.

But you still did a fabulous job!

Bassix
12-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Oh man, when you finally get to do that, your ears will pop off your head for all the things you don't hear on computer monitors! You'll love it. When I made the switch years ago from bad studio monitors to decent ones, the difference was shocking.

I think if I had better monitors myself then I would have noticed the ringing and string noise that slipped by me when I listened to my mixed track on my computer speakers. This is the mixed track I sent to Slejhamer:

Or maybe I probably should have focused on my isolated bass track a little more. As they say, ignorance is bliss. ;)

I know better equipment won't vanquish bad technique or other issues, but are there any decent monitors that you would recommend, Bruce?

Mekana
12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Loved this! You guys are awesome. What a cool thing to do, too.

Was the backing track from a particular lesson? (I'm still at the beginning; working on Lesson 2 this week.)

Bruce Alan
12-08-2011, 12:44 PM
...but are there any decent monitors that you would recommend, Bruce?

I've been happy with my Mackie HR824s for while now. 7-8 years? I cannot remember when I got them. I was using Alesis Monitor 1s before that. The difference was like night and day. I know more serious studio types often look down at the Mackies, but they're fine for what I do and certainly in the affordability range compared to much better monitors.

Elmeaux
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Loved this! You guys are awesome. What a cool thing to do, too.

Was the backing track from a particular lesson? (I'm still at the beginning; working on Lesson 2 this week.)

We find decent backing tracks online. They are not part of the lesson structure.

I hope we can get you in on a jam session soon enough!

;)

Keep on trucking with those lessons.

PaulUK
12-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Lovely stuff.

Bassix
12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Bruce!

Mekana:

If you're interested in jamming to this backing track in particular, Slej posted it in the thread "The TMBG Bass Jam: Funk in D" in the Playing the Bass section.

slejhamer
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Indeed, and then I'll need proper room treatments to go with them! :) Actually I think I've got some acoustic foam around somewhere ...

But after your post I started looking at a few options. In the lower price range (under US$500 for a pair) it seems most people like the Mackie and Yamaha offerings. For casual recordings (church band, TMBG stuff) these should be more than sufficient. Gonna have to put some on my wish list ... :)

Bruce Alan
12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Indeed, and then I'll need proper room treatments to go with them! :)

That's where I'm lacking. No bass traps in my room at all. Too cheap to buy them and so far too lazy to get off my hiney and build them.