PDA

View Full Version : Bass/Music Definitions

wshelton
12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
While attempting to "double" my learning potential with both TMBG and personal instruction, I've found I'm much less pleased with the personal instruction. To better discuss my frustration with the instructor, I'd appreciate someone providing some good definitions for several aspects of the bass and music in general. Specifically, the mechanical, technical, and theoretical aspects. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

TobiasMan
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Not sure how to respond to that as your request is very general. Can you be more specific about the issues where you are not communicating well with your personal instructor? If you can provide a bit more information, we may be able to give some useful assistance.

On the other hand, even if a student does not have all the "lingo" down, a good instructor will bridge the terminology gap and meet the student's needs. If your instructor won't discuss things unless you have the correct terminology, it might be time to check out another instructor. You are spending good money for their assistance and I can assure you that all instructors are not terminology snobs.

wshelton
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm only asking for basic, general definitions... For example:
1. What are the mechanical aspects of bass playing and music in general? Finger and thumb position, warm-up and exercises, etc.
2. What are the theorectical aspects of bass playing and music in general? Learning the fret notes, scales, chord and progressions, etc.
3. What are the technical aspects of bass playing and music in general? You get the idea....

Elmeaux
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm only asking for basic, general definitions... For example:
1. What are the mechanical aspects of bass playing and music in general? Finger and thumb position, warm-up and exercises, etc.
2. What are the theorectical aspects of bass playing and music in general? Learning the fret notes, scales, chord and progressions, etc.
3. What are the technical aspects of bass playing and music in general? You get the idea....

1 - Playing the bass. Plucking, slapping, fretting the strings, tuning...these are terms that are used here. Open string (no fingers pressed onto a fret), closed string (using a finger on the fret to make a note) If you want to tell your instructor about your issues in PLAYING, you can use these.

2 - Theory. Staff, bass clef, measure, key signature, timing signature...these are terms that are used here. If you want to tell your instructor about your issues in THEORY, you can use these.

3 - I'm not certain what you mean by this one.

How far are you on your TMBG lessons? The DVDs are going to provide you with a lot of the terminology you will need to explain your situation to your other instructor. As TobiasMan suggests, if he is a professional, he will understand what you mean even if you don't have the exact words down pat. Even better if you have your bass right there with you to show him.

Feel free to browse around the forum - maybe some of the articles and features can help you in a more in-depth fashion. All the words you are looking for can be found in abundance around here! As a TMBG member, you have full access to all areas.

:D

wshelton
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
My instructor's resume' is quite impressive, however... I've quickly realized that being a professional musician doesn't make you a good teacher. With respect to #3, I'm not sure what I mean! I've seen seen this terminology used throughout many bass sites. As these terms are thrown around alot, I was hoping for a definition as opposed to examples... no worries... I'll keep looking around.

Slightly Frustrated Lesson 4

Elmeaux
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Maybe these links will help more...

http://www.classicalworks.com/html/glossary.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/2791/MDOPNSCR.htm

:D

wshelton
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Great... thanks!

Ditto
12-09-2011, 12:09 AM
I also take private lessons from a great musician. He is in a working band and I have seen him play many times, in my back yard even. I am taking the TMBG for all the theory and fundimental things and I use the personal instruction for learning songs to play and tricky time signature stuff. When I have trouble with a concept, I can take it to him and he walks me through it. I think you can never get enough help. You just have to ask for it.
Take your TMBG and learn from it and take you favorite songs to your instructor and have him TEACH you those so you can have fun and do like I did tonight........ Came home from work, turned on the MESA amp, pluged in and started thumping out my set list. My wife put on a coat and LEFT the building........SWEET!