PDA

View Full Version : Getting re-acquainted

ed okada
12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi all,

My name is Ed, I have recently acquired a Carvin Icon 5 bass. It is a really nice instrument, but that is an opinion from a very inexperienced individual.
Played bass 40+ years ago, and not since. Learned just by listening to 45 rpm records (some of you more "seasoned cats" can relate), over and over till it sounded as close as I could get. Now I'm taking the time to learn it.

DONNIE B
12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
WELL ED you have come to the right place.there are a good number of us who remember 45s. so check us out .Have fun,

Elmeaux
12-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Welcome, Ed. Hope you enjoy the lessons. And don't forget to dig through the forum. Lotsa good stuff here!

SilverFlame46
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Ed. Good luck with your lessons!!!

ArtLiestman
12-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the party, Ed!

Bruce Alan
12-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Welcome aboard, Ed. 45s, eh? I remember a couple of those. :-)

Elmeaux
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
The very first 45s I had were She's a Lady by Tom Jones, Watchin' Scotty Grow by Bobby Goldsboro, Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, Which Way You Goin' Billy? by the Poppy Family...and a bunch of others. We had a red vinyl copy of There Goes My Everything by Engelbert Humperdinck. 45s were extra special if they came on coloured vinyl...red and yellow were the most popular of the "other than black" series.

Before that, I had 78s - How Much is That Doggie in the Window by Patti Page, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry, a bunch of Mitch Miller 78s, Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered by Doris Day, Tammy by Debbie Reynolds...Ah, the list goes on...

I still have a lot of the old 45s and 78s. The 78s are pretty valuable now.

DONNIE B
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Hold on tight to them . there are a lot of us who let them get away . as smokey said see the tracks of my tears. but believe it or not we still have a turntable

Husker72
12-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Welcome Ed! Good luck with the bass. There are a bunch of us here that are coming back to "learn it the right way". And, yep, love those 45s -- I have a jukebox full of them!

Elmeaux - I doubt if there are many of us who actually played 78's because that's all that was available.

Elmeaux
12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Most of my 78s were handed down from generations before me, but some I bought at garage sales or used record stores.

In terms of 78s, when you bought an "album" it was a big book with a bunch of records in sleeves. They couldn't fit all the songs on one disc like they did when 33s came out. If you bought an opera on 78s, the album book could contain as many as 10 records in the collection.

And if you didn't have a proper gramophone, you had to get a special stylus to play them on the regular turntables.

I suspect a lot of us remember those days.

Husker72
12-13-2011, 06:04 PM
As a kid I used to play the 78s by the hour -- of course the record player only had 1 speed and you had to change the needles (which looked more like little nails) fairly often. Also, there were long play 78's. Still have a bunch of them. Every once in a while I listen to one and am reminded of why they went away.

The 45s were a real leap forward. One of the companies (I think it was RCA) marketed them as the medium of choice, but eventually the 45s gave way to the 33s except for singles.

Elmeaux
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
The 45s were a real leap forward. One of the companies (I think it was RCA) marketed them as the medium of choice, but eventually the 45s gave way to the 33s except for singles.

...and so the evolution has continued. You can now carry your entire music collection on a few tiny SD cards...