PDA

View Full Version : EQ's and Tone?

aksteve
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
As a newby, I had a question regarding “tone” and EQ’s on an amp. Is this an exact science or more of a preference type of a thing? I know it seems that certain tones fit certain types of music or musicians, but is there a specific way that an EQ should be set up to get certain sounds? Is leaving the EQ flat a good middle of the road? Or just boreing LOL? I have been messing a bit with mine here and there and when I find something I like, I leave it, but I like to change it up between the two bases (my acoustic bass guitar and my Peavey mill.) I have flatwounds on my ABG and want it to have more of an upright tone, so I “attempt” to make it sound as much like that as possible.

Elmeaux
12-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I just go with what I like. I try different settings and make a drawing of the positioning of the EQ knobs. I'll make notes like "heavy and thick" or "sharper and crisp" next to the setting picture.

But mostly I'm not too fussy - I just tune the way I need it at the time.

Bruce Alan
12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
What Elmeaux said. If it sounds good, it is.

Seriously, there are no set rules. Except perhaps that more is not better. Adding more (considerably more) bass does not always equate to beefier. It could easily equate to more mud. Try taking away to opposite if you want more of something else. Need more bass? Back off on the highs and mids a bit. More mids? Back off the bass.

That's not to say adding is always bad. Sometimes, depending upon the song, I just may desire a little extra shot of low end, so I bump that a hint. Everything flat is a good starting point, then adjust to taste. And then there is the reality you notice about swapping basses - each reacts differently and often need something different. Just do what sounds good to you.

Heck, with my rig, even with the same band, it never sounds the same to me in different rooms. So you adjust as the situation dictates.

TobiasMan
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
As Bruce noted, less is generally better. I play my rig pretty close to flat all the time. I use the EQ primarily to compensate for room acoustics and will occasionally turn up a notch up at about 500 hz when playing my fretless as the mids and upper mids are what carry the typical fretless, mwah sound.

If you are having difficulty cutting through (being heard) in a band situation, I find that cutting the lows (they suck up tons of power and don't really provide "punch") and boosting the low mids (250 hz) will give you more headroom and more of the clear, tight punch that is necessary to be heard.

david
12-13-2011, 12:55 PM
A lot depends on what kind of music you're playing, too. For example, most bassists use a very flat setting for Raggae (and VERY old strings!) to produce a thumpy, almost bass drum sound that doesn't resound. A setting that tends a bit toward the low end works well for traditional jazz (if an acoustic upright isn't available), a brighter setting compliments pop, country, and contemporary gospel. There is no hard-and-fast rule, though - as these folks say. What sounds good to you is what's right. That said, these rough guidelines may be considered a good launching pad from which to embark on your own voyage of sonic discovery. (Poetic, ain't it?)

aksteve
12-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! sounds like I am on the right track with experimenting on the sounds. The one thing i hadnt thought about were adjusting to the different accoustics in different rooms...right now, i just play in my den, but in the future, that will be good to know! Also, the less is more scenario is something i will experiment with as well.

Bruce Alan
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
And just when we tell you "less is more" we go and throw at you "sometimes more is the ticket too." :) On occasion that little addition of some top end will give it that shimmer I need for a song. Or maybe a little more on the bottom for a song gives it that "oomph" I need. And with the differences we've already discussed in different basses, sometimes a change at the bass itself is the ticket.

I know I used to be an "everything up all the way" kind of person on the basses themselves. But then I learned to get that classic Rickenbacker growl on my rick, pulling back the volume on the neck pickup about 20% gets you there. And then my cheap Ibanez has so much headroom in its various EQ settings that running all flat on the bass itself is the ticket until I want to get all bombastic, then add something from there instead of from the amp.

In other words, it's all in the ears and don't limit yourself to changes on the amp...go for the bass too!