PDA

View Full Version : No Ampeg / GK?

middlerelief
12-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Making my way through the boards and came across the amp section (obviously)

I was surprised to see no comments or more like threads on Ampeg or GK?

I feel like when I open BP Mag or whatever, that's all seem to read about - over hyped or is it a given on the quality of their gear?

Elmeaux
12-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Never used either. I've used Roland and Fender.

Ditto
12-21-2011, 07:21 AM
I talked about Ampeg before. When I was shopping for a new amp, I looked at Ampeg but found out that they are made in China and I was not going to buy that. Now they have the Heratage line that is built in U.S.A. I was only looking for tube amps so I ended up getting a MESA BOOGIE.

I have played a GK when I sat in on a set. It was their top solid state set up and was playing through a 6 X 10 cab so it sounded ok. I am just now a TUBE guy.

slejhamer
12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
There have been a few mentions of each ... a full article on the Ampeg B15 as well. I think Ed is a huge B15 fan.

I get pretty close to the Ampeg sound with my Hartke DI box. (I A/B'd it with a buddy's tube SVT-DI when I was adjusting the settings.) And I've owned Tech 21's VT Bass pedal, which is Ampeg in a little box. Great pedal!

I've also owned a GK head (400RB) and currently own a GK Neo cab, albeit with a Genz-Benz head (GK's little MB units were not yet available at the time.)

The quintessential GK sound can be heard on the first GnR album. Duff rocks it.

TobiasMan
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
My gear is, and has been since the late 1990's, primarily Eden. I appreciate the clear, well articulated tone of Eden amps and cabs, but am following the developments over at DNA (David Nordschow Amplification - David, the founder of Eden's new company) very closely of late where he has recently released a number of dynamite cabs and new amps are anticipated - maybe at the 2012 Winter NAMM. Eden development has suffered since David left when the company was taken over by USM and then Jam Enterprises. They don't appear to be pursuing high end products, but lower price point stuff.

I have used GK gear in the past. A couple of times where it was provided as backline and another time when we rented an RB700 for a weekend. Fiddled with the controls on that GK for what seemed like hours and never got the sound I can get with my old Eden gear with two small tweaks to the knobs. My cabs are all full range and I don't bi-amp, so the typical GK low/high setup isn't useful to me.

I find tube stuff is just too heavy and too complex (biasing tubes, etc) for my day to day work. I don't like dull, thuddy type tone so I tend to avoid gear whose claim to fame is that sound. ;)

Bruce Alan
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
The only GK I ever played was busted (just a few nights ago, in fact), and the only Ampeg I really want is a bout a million pounds in weight. I'm pretty happy with my mutant rig.

TroyJames
12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Only bass amp I've played through so far is a Rouge 15 watt job that I blew up. So in my search for bass amp info on the internet I find myself being more and more drawn to really wanting to try the Genz Benz stuff, especially their Streamliner heads. From what I undersatnd, they are made in America by a small company and have a very good customer service reputation. I could be wrong about some or all of this though but this is the impression I currently have of them.

middlerelief
12-21-2011, 08:49 PM
The quintessential GK sound can be heard on the first GnR album. Duff rocks it.

Yes sir very much agree with you on that - Duff is one of my bigees from an influence standpoint.

RichB
02-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Like TobiasMan, I mainly use Eden amps, a WTX1000N through a 2x10 cab and a 4x10 cab. I like the clear, punchy yet warm Eden tone. That said, I've played through Ampeg amps and like them very much...they just have a different tone. By the way, the church where I play is about to order one of the new Ampeg Portaflex amps (the PF 350) and the accompanying 2x10 cab. Has anyone played through one? I am eager to try it out.

ArtLiestman
02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty well decided on the Ampeg PF500 and the matching 115 cab as my next amp. It'll probably be a couple of months before I do it, but that's the current plan.

colder
02-26-2012, 07:54 AM
I noticed some of my favorite artists use Ampeg. I'm only using a thirdhand cheap practice amp now, but maybe if I finish the course one day I could reward myself with one of those Ampeg Micro-VR mini-stacks :)

Blutoh
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
My first big influence was Tommy Shannon and he advocated 4 10's and Ampeg so after starting out on a Hartke 60 watt B600, I kept my eyes peeled for deals. I stumbled upon a slightly damaged HLF410 cab from Ampeg for half-price. Had a hole in the grill and a dented input jack but works perfectly thru the speakon connector.(and otherwise appears brand new) So then I picked up an Ampeg svt3pro amp on Ebay, and I have been in love ever since. This combination is awesome and I can get such a range of tones that I doubt I will ever need or want any other setup. IMHO Ampeg is worth every penny.

crojas
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Making my way through the boards and came across the amp section (obviously)

I was surprised to see no comments or more like threads on Ampeg or GK?

I feel like when I open BP Mag or whatever, that's all seem to read about - over hyped or is it a given on the quality of their gear?

I just sold my GK UltraLight 1X15 combo. Good amp but could not produce the more vintage sound I was looking for. The guy I sold it to loves it and is very happy with it. If you are looking for a modern sound this is a good way to go especially for the low price

TobiasMan
04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Ampeg seems to have won/acquired the worldwide contract for supplying backline bass gear. Unless you are a big enough name to have your own list of required gear, and the ability to enforce your demand, most people who play at those venues have no choice but to play what is supplied. It is therefore "seen" a lot at concerts/videos, etc and that is translated by the masses into the assumption that it is the best stuff going.

Common? Yes.
Good stuff? Could be.
The best stuff? Don't think so. ;)

jthomas353
04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty well decided on the Ampeg PF500 and the matching 115 cab as my next amp. It'll probably be a couple of months before I do it, but that's the current plan.

After a lot of research, I also decided on this same rig. Mine is on order and should be here by the end of the week.

blair book
04-15-2012, 09:03 AM
After a lot of research, I also decided on this same rig. Mine is on order and should be here by the end of the week.

Would you mind posting a review once you have some time? I'm curious how they are...

VerryBerry
04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I noticed some of my favorite artists use Ampeg. I'm only using a thirdhand cheap practice amp now, but maybe if I finish the course one day I could reward myself with one of those Ampeg Micro-VR mini-stacks :)

Hello colder,

I too have been looking at the Ampeg Micro-VR stacks. Unfortunately, due to some quality issues that have turned up in my research, I will be pairing the SVT210 cab with probably a GK MB200 micro head. By all reports those lightweight SVT210's are very good, but the output from the head has been known to break up, particularly under a 4-ohm load (2 cabs). Maybe with one cab it will be fine, but I intended to use 2 cabs to get full wattage from the head, so did not want to take the chance.

So, there is my token mention of BOTH Ampeg and Gallien-Krueger for the OP! :)