PDA

View Full Version : Help please...my fingers tingle in the morning...

dreamer
07-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Hello,

Just wondering if I am practicing too much as my fingers tingle in the morning before i wake up...??? any thoughts or ideas on how to relieve this symptom are welcomed...is it carpal tunnel syndrome???:confused:

regards,
dreamer

BASS is ACE:cool:

Elmeaux
07-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Elmeaux's Opinion:

If it's your fretting hand:

As your muscles develop, you'll ned less effort to press strings. Press a little closer to the actual fret itself, rather than square in the middle...it makes for better contact with less effort. Also, the action on the strings may be too high. Check that the nut and saddles are low enough. Lastly, try a lighter guage set of strings.

If it's your plucking hand:

Ease up on the striking force. Less is more. Let the electronics handle the volume. Make sure you're not striking too closely to the bridge, where the strings are more tight. Strike a little higher to the bottom of the fretboard, where the strings are looser and vibrate with a much lighter touch.

I yield to more expert advice.:)

JeffB
07-24-2010, 09:13 AM
quit sleeping on your hands! :p

TLDTR
07-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Allow me to add my two cents to Elmeaux's sage advice. While I'm not a doctor, I doubt it's CTS as that generally develops over years of repeated, same-position, same-motion actions. It may, however, be the result of over-practicing, which Roy advises against. Think of playing the bass as lifting weights. You start off with 10 lbs, 10 reps and, as your muscles strengthen, slowly increase the amount of weights and the number of reps over weeks and months until you're strong enough to toss a caber! Keep your practice time to 15-20 minutes a day for the next week or so and see if that helps. If the tingling stops by then, you should be able to bump up to 30 minutes a day, and so on. Keep us posted.
Hope that helps!
Ed.

Elmeaux
07-24-2010, 09:25 AM
quit sleeping on your hands! :p

And use more urine!! Urine will set you free!!!

SilverFlame46
07-24-2010, 10:53 AM
my fingers tingle in the morning before i wake up...???

Dreamer, could it all possibly be a DREAM?!!!;) And,

dreamer
07-26-2010, 03:16 PM
What can i tell you? it was my fretting hand and ive stopped playing and practicing so much...now only 20 mins a day...my numbness seems to have gone for the moment.

I tried the URINE...but i wasn't sure whether to smoke it, drink it or snort it...?????

thanks folks,
dreamer

BASS is ACE:cool:

Elmeaux
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I tried the URINE...but i wasn't sure whether to smoke it, drink it or snort it...?????

A REAL bass player mixes his urine with beer...

JMilly
07-26-2010, 07:57 PM
A REAL bass player mixes his urine with beer...

I take my urine in shot form so I get my buzz on then follow with a tasty brew. Fat Tire goes well with a stiff shot of urine!

JeffB
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
See! See what happens when Ralph runs off and leaves us here. Roy, come save this topic! ;)

Elmeaux
07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
See! See what happens when Ralph runs off and leaves us here. Roy, come save this topic! ;)

Hey, I'm doing the work. I've started Lesson 5. :D

Speaking of the topic, which is tinglefinger, I just wanted to chime in and say I've never really had this problem. I do tend to get a pulling pain that goes up my arms to the shoulders. More like a repetitive stress thing. I play the bass, then I play too much Rockband (and other Wii games), and I do a lot of typing at the computer. Sometimes, my upper arms feel as if I've been lifting barbells all day.

TobiasMan
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
That pain up the arm to the shoulder can often be caused by tension. Ensure that you don't have the neck in a death grip. Thumb on the back of the neck to steady it and fret with as little tension as possible - you're not wringing its neck. ;)

Stop now and then and just let that arm and shoulder relax and loosen up. It is amazing how we can tense up when playing.

Mike
07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
This thread got weird pretty quick.

Elmeaux
07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
That pain up the arm to the shoulder can often be caused by tension. Ensure that you don't have the neck in a death grip. Thumb on the back of the neck to steady it and fret with as little tension as possible - you're not wringing its neck. ;)

Stop now and then and just let that arm and shoulder relax and loosen up. It is amazing how we can tense up when playing.

You're absolutely right about tension, but now that I think about it, I want to tweak your theory just a tad. I always keep my fingers loose and easy on the neck...thumb is on the back of the neck and I don't wring. I am so strict in observing this rule that I think the tension must be transferring up my arm instead. It's got to come out somewhere.

Here I am trying to convince myself that I'm relaxed, just because my fingers are loose, but then I'll notice that I'm gritting my teeth or clenching my jaw as I learn to play something faster or more complicated. Or I'll feel tight as a high wire through the collarbone area. Ha! But the fingers are loose!

I'll work on it. You da man, Alberta!! :cool:

Elmeaux
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
This thread got weird pretty quick.

Hee hee...ain't it the truth? :rolleyes:

JMilly
07-27-2010, 06:17 PM
I'll notice that I'm gritting my teeth or clenching my jaw as I learn to play something faster or more complicated.

I used to do that as well, might seem goofy but I just popped a piece of bubble gum in and it kept me from getting self inflicted lock jaw. lol

Pssh this thread didn't get weird at all, that stuff takes place on a typical tuesday night...right!? I'm not the only one I hope or this just got REALLY awkward.

Elmeaux
07-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Pssh this thread didn't get weird at all, that stuff takes place on a typical tuesday night...right!? I'm not the only one I hope or this just got REALLY awkward.

Naaaah, you were right. It was a tad on the strange side. I've been known to hijack perfectly decent, law abiding threads...:p

Remember? I'm Captain of the Thunder Row Smart Aleck Department.

JMilly
07-27-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm Captain of the Thunder Row Smart Aleck Department.

I'll be turning in my application for immediate employment!

Elmeaux
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I'll be turning in my application for immediate employment!

If you can get past Ralph. He's the doorman...

Of course, what with Ralph having no arms and all, the door actually just stays open all day. He'll try to roll in front of your path to block you. Boot him aside and come in. The Smart Aleck Department is in the basement. :p