PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to learning the bass

Video Editor
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Hello, I started in music when I was in my early teens, playing rhythm guitar, and played through high school. In my early 20's I stopped to start a family and make a living. Now at 53 I am no longer working and am on disability. I decided to pick up the bass and try and learn it as I have always had an interest in it. I purchased a Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass. So far I am finding a great difference in the neck length and the distance between frets. I am having trouble with the stretching and can only do 1 finger on each fret up above the 9th fret. Hopefully in time my short fingers will learn to stretch. I am looking forward to this course and playing the bass. Maybe even on stage one day. I know at my age I am not in the running to make it big, but even a small venue would be nice if I can get there. :)

SilverFlame46
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
The TMBG course will get you where you want to go, Video Editor. Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Enjoy your journey!!!

ArtLiestman
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the party!

Elmeaux
12-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Welcome to TR. A little while ago, we did a piece introducing the Blacktop basses.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?1062-THUNDERNEWS-Hit-The-Blacktop

How do those Blacktops sound? Are they as good as we imagine?

Bassic Bill
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Welcome, VideoEd. Post lots, have fun!

Bruce Alan
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Video Editor!

aksteve
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
welcome! i completely understand where you are coming from on the frets, my fingers are finally getting to the point where they can stretch to hit the lower parts of the neck, but its still a work in progress! (ive only been messign around with the bass for about a year +)

Video Editor
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it sounds great, especially when someone who knows what they are doing plays it LOL. For me it has a nice action and beautiful sound. I am enjoying it very much. My other bass is the Cort GS-AXE-2. Not as nice a sound, but more of a collectors guitar since it was created by Gene Simmons.

Video Editor
12-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I love the DVDs, but I am off to a bad start.

1 - I can't get my thumb into the upright position behind the neck. My wrist just won't allow it. To get my wrist and thumb to where it should be, I have to place the bass in the style of an upright bass. The minute I start to turn it, my thumb slides and goes over the top frets on an angle.

2 - The first lesson says you must learn all of the notes on the fretboard. Now I haven't gone any further into lesson 2 because I am afraid that this is a MUST to continue. For me it will take months to actually learn where all the notes are without even thinking about it. Should I continue on to lesson 2 and further? Or am I stuck where I am until I know the notes. I thought the notes would be something that comes with time.

Video Editor
12-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement.

Elmeaux
12-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Knowing where the notes are is very important. It is the foundation of learning the bass.

Nobody can tell you what you must do before advancing to a new lesson. The pace you set is for you to decide, but if you advance before you're ready, you're going to bog down further in, since you're going to need the basics in the more advanced lessons.

According to Roy, the entire course can take anywhere from one to three years to complete. It's not an instant fix to teach you the bass guitar overnight. Each lesson can take a month or more to master.

Some students advance from Lesson 1 without knowing the entire fretboard - then they come back at a later time, to reinforce their knowledge.

Bottom line - don't rush yourself. Spend some time with Lesson 1. I know you're probably excited and raring to go, but get your fundamentals down pat first. It will serve you well in the long run. Run the drills, play the DVD loops, draw fretboards and learn to place the notes yourself. And make sure to visit the RESOURCES section on the forum here - there are charts and graphs - every manner of visual aid and helper files.

Here's a chart our members have found useful...

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread.php?2652-Helpful-Little-Sheet&highlight=helpful+sheet

As to the positioning of your thumb, just do your best - you're going to be using muscles you never even knew you had - give them time to develop. There are things my hands refuse to do, too, even NOW. I think we all do our best when that happens.

Be patient. Practice in small increments and give yourself time to get those muscles in shape.

Video Editor
12-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks very much for the encouragement and the advice. I really appreciate it.