PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

kenkarle
07-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Greetings Thunder Row Community,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Ken. I am 57 years of age. For a couple years far in the past, I was a piano performance major at the University of Iowa School of Music. Prior to that, I was employed as a piano technician supervisor for Helpinstill Designs. (You know…those electronic acoustic piano pickups that Elton John began using rather than a miked piano..?)

Wow! My wife just saw him perform here in Tucson last week and according to her…still Wow!

Anywho without going into my entire life’s history, I was introduced to a Rickenbacker bass way back then and found it most relaxing and enjoyable. Didn’t pursue bass playing, because keyboards already had a firm grip on my psyche.
I now find myself disabled with Lupus and away from those keyboards for far too long to redevelop previous technical abilities. Yet I still need active involvement with a musical instrument and the need to recapture that previous relaxed and enjoyable bass experience.

So here I am with Roy’s course, and so far it’s been great!

By the way, I still have one of those awesome sounding Rickenbacker things; however, my cheap Ibanez is much easier for practicing. I’m looking to purchase a Carvin SB5000 with Swamp Ash body. Comments from anyone about that (particularly the Swamp Ash body) would be appreciated?
Ken

SilverFlame46
07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey Ken, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Also a welcome goes out to you from the "Old Timers Club" of which you, me and several other Thunder Row Members and TMBG Students are members of. I think you will find the atmosphere here very pleasant as everyone in this forum are great people. Again, welcome to the club!!!

kenkarle
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Great Advice! Thanks!