PDA

View Full Version : Another old timer, looking to pick up the bass.

carbakm
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Kent here. I was a music major in college and decided I didn't want to be a teacher (not enough patience), so I changed over to computers....... Main instrument is trumpet, been playing for some 40+ years. I tried the guitar, but it was hard to think in chords......so I thought the bass would be good. Also, my praise band needed one so here I go. I can play a half a dozen songs or so and have even played in public. I pick up songs using tabs and thought that I would really like to learn the instrument right, so I ordered the course (it is scheduled to be delivered today, can't wait to leave work and rip into it). Anyway, looking forward to the journey and learning to read bass clef....... I live in a little town in Oklahoma and good instructors are a bit hard to find, at least for me.

Silverfox
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Nice to have you on board. This is one of the best courses available, short of having your own private instructor at your beck and call. With your music background the learning curve shouldn't be too steep. Not sure what you mean by old timer, I am looking back at 60 and just picked up the bass a little while ago. Fingers and brain not nearly as quick as when I was 18. It does keep the brain active, and I am getting too old to get into trouble anyway:D

I know you will enjoy the course, non better.

ArtLiestman
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the party, Kent. I think you'll find the course very helpful. The resources here on the forum are a great addition to the material in the book and on the discs. Plus, it's a friendly and fun crowd to share the experience with.

carbakm
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
yeah I did some looking around for learning materials, and liked what I saw in this one. I just turned 55, so not quite as many years under my belt as you, but I still seem to have no problem getting into trouble........maybe I'll learn your secrets.

carbakm
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks Art, I look forward to getting around on the forum and meeting you all. There's so much, it's going to take me a year just to catch up......... can't wait to get home to open the box that is waiting on me.

line6bassman
01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Kent here. I was a music major in college and decided I didn't want to be a teacher (not enough patience), so I changed over to computers....... Main instrument is trumpet, been playing for some 40+ years. I tried the guitar, but it was hard to think in chords......so I thought the bass would be good. Also, my praise band needed one so here I go. I can play a half a dozen songs or so and have even played in public. I pick up songs using tabs and thought that I would really like to learn the instrument right, so I ordered the course (it is scheduled to be delivered today, can't wait to leave work and rip into it). Anyway, looking forward to the journey and learning to read bass clef....... I live in a little town in Oklahoma and good instructors are a bit hard to find, at least for me.

WELCOME CARBAKM!!!!!! TO ANOTHER ONE OF MY PRAISE BAND BASS PODDDDDDDDD-NERSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Line6bassman

carbakm
01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Thank you. I am going to leave work now to go tear into it. We'll see how it goes. I also, now have 5 posts, so I can see all those links and images that I couldn't before.................

line6bassman
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks Art, I look forward to getting around on the forum and meeting you all. There's so much, it's going to take me a year just to catch up......... can't wait to get home to open the box that is waiting on me.

To catch up might be the impossible dream when you're talking about everything that has gone on around here since the beginning are not that long ago, but all things are possible to those who believe so all I can say to all is this video.
There I go again, are here I come again, I ought to call myself POPS IN THE HEAD instead of Line6bassman. This is what popped in my head when you said what you said. I like expressing myself in song.
So I guess this is for all of my bass learning people here and me too. So reach for the Stars my friend and all!!!

Line6bassman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijRBQf-ato

SilverFlame46
01-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome, Kent. Glade to have you aboard. Right move on purchasing the TMBG course. You will not be sorry you did!!!

carbakm
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the inspiration Line6bassman. I made it through the first lesson, but gonna take a whole lot of practice. My thumb just doesn't want to stay put......... also, on my plucking hand, that thumb just wants to stay put and it's gonna take a whole lot of wood shedding to get them boys to cooperate.

carbakm
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks SilverFlame46. I look forward to the day that I have better flexability in my left hand than I do now. being a trumpet player, my right hand is sort of under control :)

Deep Groove
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey out there. First time caller--you know the rest. I have been into this for five lessons and I love the fact that I do not have to go down to the music shop and explain why I did not get the lesson completed again. Pick it up and turn on the set and practice when I can. The great thing is that without the "gotta get er done" hanging over my head I seem to put in a lot more time. So it took three weeks to learn a "simple" three lines of music. I did it and it sounds like music. Somehow this is getting the music through to me and not just a bunch of notes. I learn the notes, I learn the music, then I put them together. I wish I had had this when I was fifteen and that was fifty years ago. Nice to be on board. Bob

jerickson
02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Welcome, I also come from a horn background...The new worship leader didn't like horns in a praise band so I was forced to move to bass. Best thing that ever happened to me musically....I should've switched a long time ago!!!