PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear!

Kegs
07-29-2010, 02:10 AM
I arrived home with my new/old Bassman on Tuesday. Oh dear, at 4 from 10 volume the windows were in danger of fragmenting and I daren't take it any further than that. I live in a 17th Century farmhouse and I worry about it being reduced to rubble and timbers if I crank it up any further. My dream machine, and partner for my Jazz, at last; what a beast.:cool:

Elmeaux
07-29-2010, 08:20 AM
what a beast.

I said the same thing about Roy after the Improv You Play It exercise.

Kegs
07-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I said the same thing about Roy after the Improv You Play It exercise.
So did I, it took me two days to learn that and another to polish it.

TLDTR
07-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Our research teams are developing a Structure Preservation Kit to sell along with TMBG. Mind the neighbors!
Ed.

Greg Jewell
07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Kegs:

As home and hearth have obviously survived the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, stress testing trusses and timbers may be a good thing...say once every 400 to 500 years or so.

TobiasMan
07-29-2010, 08:50 PM
What model of the Bassman do you have? A new version, or an oldie.

I have an all tube, 1972 Silverface Bassman 10 (410). Cool old school thump but doesn't handle a B string very well.

Kegs
07-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Greg: In a short 30 years, 'this old house', cue song, will be 400 years old. If I continue to play bass in here it'll never make it's birthday party; and nor will I for that matter. I should get on to that stress testing right away and give myself a shot while I'm at it.:)

ED: That structure preservation kit, please be sure to let me know when the development reaches final stages. I live on a farm so, fortunately, no neighbours but the beasts of burden and they tell me they don't mind a bit.;)

TobiasMan: It's a 1964 Blackface Piggyback. I just put a couple of pics of it in my album. What sort of problem are you having with the B string? When you play a Bb does it sound weird, kind of out of tune? If it does, I think I know what your problem is.

TobiasMan
07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I guess I'm used to the response of my Eden 410XST which has very solid, low lows. The Bassman (which I keep at home for practice) just doesn't have the same low end power or clarity. Could be that I need to refresh the tubes, its been a while.

It still has the original speakers and I'm not certain that they have the range that more modern ones do.

Kegs
07-31-2010, 12:37 AM
If you play the Bb on the A string and it sounds all over the place, it's probably the filter caps that are shot as opposed to the tubes.

Good luck................Kegs.