PDA

View Full Version : Back to School

Elmeaux
01-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Yow. I played for about an hour this evening - not lessons, just some of my fave mp3s - but I forced myself to do the entire hour with a pick.

Ow ow ow. I normally only play a few songs with a pick. This was back to grade one, that's for sure. When you play finger-style, you get used to finding the strings by FEEL. When you play with a pick, you have no tactile contact with the strings, so it's like having to learn the songs all over again.

This is one of the reasons I was never able to play a drum kit. No bodily contact with the drum. I can play all sorts of hand drums, where I actually feel the drum under my fingers, but using drumsticks is always a weird feeling.

Anyway, I made it through the hour, and plan to do this pick-only thing more often. I'd like to be able to say I can do both styles with proficiency.

Also, playing everything with a pick generated some twangier sounds from the ol' Jet King. I opened up the bridge pick-up (the one I rarely use) and ended up with what almost sounded like a Telecaster Nashville guitar on its lowest notes. Like a country twang. Yummy. I was using a mid-sized Wedgie...I might try playing with a nylon pick for an even sharper sound. I have some Davas that are really good. Nylon pick with a rubber grip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00154OJOI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001QJGYIG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CEA1WY7H4HKDJKTF4X7

TobiasMan
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Gonna have to refer to you as, Elmeaux, a famous "country picker", eh? :D

DONNIE B
01-23-2012, 12:09 PM
ALL THE best to you ELMEAUX I think that is cool i hope you get all the best out of it . it was really hard for me to use the pick like i said maybe some day i will go back and try again . you going back to it gives me a good feeling . because maybe i will try it again some day. no promises.

Elmeaux
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Yeeeeee Haaaawww!!!

Elmeaux
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
you going back to it gives me a good feeling . because maybe i will try it again some day. no promises.

You should. It's funny listening to yourself as you play songs you know well...some of them sound like you're playing them for the first time. And because you pick in both the up and downward strokes, you also have to re-evaluate your rhythms to stay on beat.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...it also works different muscles in the arm. Easier on the Repetitive Stress Injury thing, but more of a workout on the upper arm.

Definitely consider going back to it, Donnie. It slows a student down, no doubt, but will give you some added skills.

Bassix
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8WczoYnDI

Elmeaux already has the hat, the time and the groove down pat, but I'm not sure how the country purists would feel about the strings. ;) :p

Elmeaux
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
LMAO!! Aw, shucks!!! I should try a new recording of this with a pick...now that I'm getting all experimental...

:o

stantonl
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago and was amazed at how well I could actually play with a pick, guess I was just having a good day ;) I was running my bass through some new FX I recently got and was somewhat surprised at how differently my bass sounded when switching between pick and fingers. I can see where being able to play both styles can have it's advantages.

DONNIE B
01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
GREAT VIDEO keep up the great work I really liked it i am shore i will at some point . you look at a lot of the old stuff . it is all pick work. very cool