PDA

View Full Version : Ashdown

Greg Jewell
07-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Ashdown Electric Blue 180 (1 x 12) amp? Is it something you might recommend or are there some issues???

Thanx,

Greg

Elmeaux
08-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Not me, sorry. I'm no amp expert.

SilverFlame46
08-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't know anything about amps either but this review may help you: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_amplifiers/ashdown/electric_blue_12-180/index.html

Greg Jewell
08-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't know anything about amps either but this review may help you: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_amplifiers/ashdown/electric_blue_12-180/index.html

SilverFlame:

Thanks for the link...I've read similar accounts of quality and durability. This amp just made it to the short list...good sound and versatile...jazz, blues & rock tested.

Regards,

Greg

SilverFlame46
08-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey no problem Greg. If you need additional info you made want to try You Tube and enter Ashdown Electric Blue 180 (1 x 12) amp in the search area. You will probably get several videos on the Electric Blue 180 to review!!!

Greg Jewell
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey no problem Greg. If you need additional info you made want to try You Tube and enter Ashdown Electric Blue 180 (1 x 12) amp in the search area. You will probably get several videos on the Electric Blue 180 to review!!!

SF:

Had not thought of that. Thanks for the idea...I will definately check it out.

Greg

stantonl
08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey Greg,

I can speak specifically to the Electric Blue 180, but I have an EVO II 500 Head that I just love! Vintage tone for days and sturdy as a tank.

kenkarle
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I have an Ashdown Mag 300 EVO II. Sounds clean and great! I run my Ric and Ibanez GSR200 though it. Was in shock when UPS delivered the box. Looked as if the box had fallen off the truck at high speed more than once and backed over multiple times...but; the amp was undamaged and has been functioning perfectly for almost two years. I'm so impressed with Ashdown that I also purchased one of their rather expensive practice amps, After Eight. I carry it back and forth from Tucson to my cabin outside the Acoma Pueblo Reservation in New Mexico. Amazing little durable box!

Sorry I can't help you with direct 180 experience, but if you're looking for a tight sound and a bit more power, you might want to consider saving your pennies and going for that 300 with the two 10" speakers. You can add another cab later, including a 15", if necessary. And don't get carried away with cranking-up that Ashdown sub-harmonics knob or the compresion knob. Just a little goes a long way.

Ken

slejhamer
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I know nothing about the amp's tone or durability, but the specs say it weighs 60 lbs ... that's something to consider if you're going to be lugging it around. I've got back problems (and stairs!) so that's a major concern for me. Lots of nice lightweight cab/head options, even some new lightweight combos (GK comes to mind).

TobiasMan
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I know nothing about the amp's tone or durability, but the specs say it weighs 60 lbs ...

WOW, That's not something I'd be happy dragging in out of a gig. That's 2/3 of the weight of my 410 cab!!!! :eek:

Greg Jewell
08-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Funny you should mention the Ashdown Mag 300 EVO II...I was reading a review yesterday and the author recommended the same upgrade.

Rather than simplifying things, "Ampology 101" makes informed decision making a greater challenge. Why couldn't it be like: "Dude...you want fries with that?" (The new existential question in these parts) Nevertheless, I'm warming to the sound of the older tube amplifiers. They have that touch of delay, like stomping on a turbo diesel, that's very appealing when compaired to the "right-now" response of their solid state cousins. Listened to an Aguilar over the weekend and compared it to a SWR California Blond (solid state). The Aguilar had a certain warmth and fullness that the SWR lacked. Ampeg has some nice tube heads but with more power than needed. Perhaps an old Fender Bassman 50 or one of the new (old) 50's style Fender TV amps?
More questions than answers...and so goes the quest.

Greg