PDA

View Full Version : 60s Amp

70eb3gibby
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I've got an old "Sound Bass X-202" 25 watt tube amp, with a single 12" that I use. It's covered in grey tolex, with gold grill cloth, and a cool old blue jewel power light.
It has three seperate inputs. Vol, Bass, and Treble knobs, and one 1/4" input for an additional speaker. Pretty cool old box.
It seems to have pretty good sound, probably not like you other kats have, but works well. From what I've been able to find out about it, it was built by one of the kats that used to work for Ampeg back in the day. I think it was made in NY.

There are sure alot of great amps out there! How in the heck would a person choose?

Elmeaux
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Try a few out in the stores. It's gonna be all about which one hits your ears the right way.

:D

ArtLiestman
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
That sounds like a very interesting old amp. Could you post a picture of it?

70eb3gibby
02-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Here's a picture of the amp. 1460

There is a guy here locally who repairs vintage electronics, he ended up having to do a little repair on the amp before I could use it. Interesting, he did a little research on the amp and found out that a former Ampeg employee is the one who actually built it, his name is John Dougherty, and the amp was made in Mineola Long Island sometime in the early '60s.

70eb3gibby
02-04-2012, 03:57 AM
That might be a problem.....as there are only two music stores here where I live, and their selection is not to great. I think if I was going to bite the bullet, I'd like maybe a David Eden 2x12 combo (if he makes a combo). The stand alone cab, and amp head would Really be nice, but I would be jazzed to have a good quality combo.

ArtLiestman
02-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the picture. It's got a great retro look to it! Love the logo.

line6bassman
02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
That Amp brings me back to the days long ago when I was the Singer for a CCR Band and Guitar Player!! They say I sounded like
John Fogerty?
I actually think I did too. Stuff like that always brings me back to the songs like this one in the video I used to sing in the band. Man!! I love this place called Thunder Row!! Thanks for the memories TR.
One other interesting thing about this, I met someone about 3 weeks ago that I haven't seen since the 7th grade, I just happen to pop in
on her mothers funeral service, besides for her thanking me for coming for that reason what she said after that really blew my mind!!
She said, what I remember most about you back from then is you teaching me this song and the words too it, when she said that WOW!!
I knew for sure she was talking about me!! Besides for what other more important things we should be remembered for in life before we go
it was sure nice for her to remember about the Line6bassman SOMETHING TO DO WITH MUSIC THE MOST!!! So that's why this song I taught her came back too mind with this amp here!!

Line6bassman

http://youtu.be/lIPan-rEQJA

TobiasMan
02-04-2012, 01:30 PM
If you are interested in Eden, they have produced a number of 212/210 combos over the years.
They currently have one 212 combo listed:
E212C
320 Watts into the internal, 4 ohm cab
102dB SPL (quite efficient)
Uses light weight E series speakers and weighs 58 lbs

A few years ago they also had a very well received D212XLT Metro combo. This unit is not currently manufactured but was built until 2009.
D212XLT Metro
720 watts into 2 ohms
500 watts into 4 ohms
300 watts into 8 ohms
2 Channel amp with compressor, Mute to tune, DI and pedal control.
Channel 1 is a digital, BiFET preamp, with a 3 band EQ
Channel 2 uses Edens tube preamp, parametric EQ and the same poweramp
Uses the heavier, David series speakers and weighs 85 lbs

Another older Eden CXC combo (available until about 2005)
Had one of two amps, either the WT330 or the WT390
CXC212
WT330 (most common amp)
200 watts into 8 ohms
330 watts into 4 ohms
420 watts into 2 ohms (could run at this level but not recommended)

or the
WT390 (rarer amp)
235 watts into 8 ohms
390 watts into 4 ohms
625 watts into 2 ohms (ditto)
3 way tone control, solid state Golden Ear chip (emulate the Eden tube preamp) and compressor.
Head could be removed from the combo and used separately
Additional 8 ohm extension cab available
78 lbs

70eb3gibby
02-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Hey man.......Thanks for the Story! Yeah, it's all to easy to just drift back and remember good stuff! Also, thanks for the video of CCR! I have alot of CCR cds that I play to (not the bass lines yet) on my '68 Rogers kit. Great music! Thanks again!! :-)

70eb3gibby
02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Thank you for all these selections for Eden! At least now I have a really good idea what to look for. I'm sure there are Many other similar combos out there, but I've heard alot of good things about Eden amps.

Does anybody else have a good recommendation? I don't want to get to far off from what we are all here for, (Playing Bass) but one or two other ideas surely won't hurt?

Elmeaux
02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you for all these selections for Eden! At least now I have a really good idea what to look for. I'm sure there are Many other similar combos out there, but I've heard alot of good things about Eden amps.

Does anybody else have a good recommendation? I don't want to get to far off from what we are all here for, (Playing Bass) but one or two other ideas surely won't hurt?

I use a Fender Rumble 75. Big and boomy all day long.

Anything from the Rumble family, really.

http://www.fender.com/products/rumble