PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a practice amp?

colder
02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Right now I'm using a thirdhand little Fender rumble 15.. basically, the most basic practice amp you can find. It does what it does, it has a headphone jack and a line in so I could play along to music. I can hear myself, but that's it.

I saw an affordable 50W Orange practice amp with a gain knob and a line out, which might make practice a little more fun. (and my preferred LGS is an Orange dealer) I was specifically wondering if having a line out would help me in the early stages - I was told by a few people to record myself practicing, that this was very helpful to them. It's about $250 but I wouldn't want to spend any more than that.

To you experienced players, what do you think? Is there any point to upgrading to a nicer practice amp at this point, or should I wait until I'm ready to play with others and get something larger and louder at that point?

Thanks!

Elmeaux
02-26-2012, 10:47 PM
A bigger amp lets you experience the full body of the sound you're making. It's very inspiring to have some extra boominess under your fingers.

Ditto
02-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Depends on your money situation. Many people get GAS and go out and buy a bigger amp. Then a year later they get a gig and don't have enough money to buy one.

So, if your goal is to be playing in a band, I would hold off and save up and maybe buy a HEAD and use your rumble's speaker until you can buy a cab to go with it.

I hoy a big MESA combo and now wish I had got a seperate head and cab, this thing is HEAVY.

PaulUK
02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
This is just about the perfect practice amp, in my view:

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?590-Review-Roland-Micro-Cube-Bass-RX

(Although, I'm not sure it actually addresses the question you are really asking).

I now consistently use this (in practice) in preference to my Roland 100 Bass Cube amp. It is so convenient to be able to play mp3/Youtube videos through it (in stereo).

I have also put the various loop library items (Thanks Patrick!!) on my Tascam bass trainer and so can slow them down and loop just parts of them, all through this amp.

colder
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you everyone for the thoughts!

I have decided I will wait until I'm deeper into TMBG before I upgrade. I blasted through lesson 1 and am deep in lesson 2, but only deep enough to realize how much work is ahead. I see it will take quite a bit of work to be even close to where I want to be. I'm eager to put the work in, but there aren't enough hours in the day for the amount of practice I want to get in :)

DONNIE B
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
take your time. IT is not a race trust me i know that you sometimes think you will never get there . But you will .Like they say don;t who they are i have never found out who they are.ANYWAY .WHAT YOU PUT IN WILL EQUAL WHAT YOU GET OUT. so let;s work hard have fun and JAM ON. IT;S ALL GOOD .LOV;IN LIFE & BASS.

clay vinyard
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I would say go for something that's gonna get you a little further than just practice. For instance, you could probably pick up a good used Ampeg BA-115 for $275-$300, and it would really suit you for a while. It's a great little amp with plenty of power for even jam sessions, and once you start playing out, it's got enough power, and with the 15" speaker, you can run it through the mains and use it as a stage monitor for you and the drummer. There are several on the market in this price range. I'd try to get at least 150 watts and a 15" speaker and you'll probably be happy with it for a couple years. An extra $50 or so now will save you frustration and cash in the long run.
Good luck,
Clay.

barricwiley
03-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, Since we are talking about a practice amp, not a gig amp I found that a nice reasonably priced Acoustic 20 to be perfect around the house. It is also very easy to transport to a friends if you like. Great sound and looks. $150 or under with sales going on all the time.

colder
03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! The used market and discount market it is.