PDA

View Full Version : bass battery

TroyJames
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I was wondering if I keep my active bass plugged into the amp, does the battery get drained if the amp is not on?

ArtLiestman
03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes, as far as I know. Mine does.

TobiasMan
03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I think they all do. When you plug a cable into your bass, the circuit is closed and there is a current draw. Always unplug your active basses when you aren't playing them.

clay vinyard
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Yup, ya gotta unplug your active basses or they will drain down.

TroyJames
03-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks everybody. I have always kept it unplugged but thought about leaving it just to be lazy but seems that would be a bad idea.

Ditto
03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I always unplug and turn the active switch to passive. Just my 2 cents worth of nothing.... :)

Silverfox
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
OK. This may seem like a dumb question but what has to be unplugged. Let me clarify. Does the line actually have to be unplugged from the bass guitar or just from the amp? I am not real high on continously plugging and unplugging from my bass, tends cause early fatigue of the jack.

Elmeaux
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
As I understand it, anything plugged into the battery operated device draws power, so unplug the cable from the bass itself.

Ditto
03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
It is actually worse to leave your cable plugged into your bass. The jack is a spring and with the cable removed the spring expands. With the cable plugged in all the time, the spring never gets to expand and losses it contact. Just make sure you push it in straight and pull it out straight...... hummm I will leave that one alone!

photogdude
03-05-2012, 09:48 AM
it does, i learned that the hard way

slejhamer
03-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Some interesting comments on batteries from Ernie Ball (aka MusicMan) :

Q: How long does the battery last, and how do you know when it needs to be replaced?

A: Average battery life is 6 months. We recommend Duracell batteries as replacements mostly due to size inconsistencies between battery manufacturers. Do not leave your bass plugged in when you have finished playing, as this will drain your battery faster. Battery life of course depends on how often and how long you play. When the sound of your bass becomes distorted, it's ready for a new battery.

Q: Can I use rechargeable 9-volt batteries for my Music Man bass?

A: We do not recommend rechargeable batteries for replacement in Music Man instruments for 2 reasons: 1. They do not put out enough voltage (at least 8.4 volts) to properly run the instruments. NiCad and NiMh "9-volt" batteries, even when fully charged, put out a maximum of 7.2 volts. 2. Even if they did work, rechargeable batteries only hold a charge for 1-3 months. Alkaline batteries, when fresh, can go 6 months or longer. We recommend Duracell for a good fit.

TobiasMan
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I do use Duracell batteries, but I've never had them last 6 months before dropping to about 8v, but they have lasted the longest of a number of brands I've used.