PDA

View Full Version : Picking hand question

photogdude
04-24-2012, 10:01 AM
anyone else have issues with their picking fingers getting stuck on the strings and therefore slowing you down and messing up your rhythm??
Sometimes i'll swipe the finger on my face for the grease, but this doesn't seem to be a consistent solution.

i think Roy advised almond oil? any one else have any suggestions.

TobiasMan
04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
If you are using round wound strings, they can feel quite rough and therefore slightly "sticky" to the fingers. Normally, as the strings wear in, that sticky feeling reduces, but I find that only happens briefly before the roundwounds needs to be replaced again. My DR Black Beauties are coated and I find them less rough and sticky and they have lasted longer than most roundwounds.

You can also try half rounds or groundwounds, which are normal roundwounds but with the outside either compressed or ground down to make them smoother. The ultimate in smooth to the touch are flatwounds. They don't have the brightness that roundwounds have, more of a classic fundamental tone, and they last for ever.

photogdude
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Glad you mentioned flats, i just so happened to order a set last week, just to have something different, so maybe they will help.

thanks for the answer.