PDA

View Full Version : Cramping / Charlie horse.

clay vinyard
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
So, here's the deal. I've been playing bass forever...42 years, to be exact. I've just recently developed a new problem.
I play often, every day at least 30-45 min., usually longer, gig most weekends 6-10 hours. I'd say about two months ago, my right hand started cramping after about an hour and a half / two hours on stage, causing me to alter my playing style 'till I could take a break and do some stretching. Any idea what might be causing this or what I might do to alleviate the problem?

DONNIE B
04-29-2012, 06:21 PM
try soaking your hands in warm water for a little while before your gig is to start. then stretch a little right after that. if you don;t before you start. hope that helps you.

Elmeaux
04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Wow, Clay...I must say I've never played for that kind of duration as you said for your weekend gigging.

For me, when my hands give out for the day, I stop playing. Hard to do on stage, eh?

But, like Donnie said, soaking in hot water is good. Change your stance? How you hold the bass, etc? Play sitting down for awhile?

Maybe drop Roy an email, too. He probably has great advice.

TobiasMan
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Clay, I play for fairly long periods of time several times a week (up to 4 hours at a time - just not the 10 hour marathons you're doing! :eek:) and I always do some warm-up and stretching before I play as well as afterwards.

I picked up a number of good stretching exercises from a session I had with Norm Stockton and have been using them for years now. By the end of a session I'm getting tired of standing, but never had muscle cramps. I suspect some warmth (either from a soaking or perhaps some warming ointment) in addition to regular warmup/stretching may help in your case of cramps.

clay vinyard
04-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try the warm water before stretching trick. The duration is not 6-10 hours at a time, sorry to misslead, but usually two hour sets of high energy music without a break. I've tried lowering my bass, without much effect. Kind of making me think maybe a warm compress between sets might have some effect. We'll give her a shot.

corky4strings
05-08-2012, 12:36 PM
need to learn to breath and try o relax while your playing. i still have problems trying to do it. it's even harder if you think about it