PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

Patrick
08-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi,
Here is my short introduction.
My name is Patrick Kox and I live in Lommel (Belgium)
I'm 31 and I started "Learning" the Bass just 2 years ago. The reason that I started pretty late with this is that I've been suffering from headaches since the age of 5 (At least my parents told me I was 5 when I started to complain). It took the doctors almost 25 years to diagnose the problem, and the diagnosis is Migraine and Chronic C.H. (aka Horton's syndrome and aka "suicide Headache" because it's so intense I has driven some people to suicide).
Anyway, since the diagnoses the medication for the C.H. seems to be pretty effective but unfortunately the Migraines still come pretty often).

Since then the quality of my live improved a lot and I decided to find a hobby that's relaxing, fun and not as bad for the eyes as a TV or PC screen.

So, this brings me to my "level of experience".
The first year I had a few lessons from a "Regular" Guitar player. The reason for this is that there is no bass teacher around here. I asked at various music stores, surfed the net and even asked the drummer of a pretty famous band (at least here) but nobody know any bass instructors (and the only one that I found through that drummer was too far away).
My teaches thought me some basic stuff but due to his and my work I was only able to follow about 12 lessons until he decided to stop teaching (lack of time).
The second year is just "self education" with some method books and CD's which has a few downsides that most of you already know I guess.

Then about a week or so ago I found a website that had some lesson reviews and there were really positive about the TMBG lessons by Roy Vogt so I decided to order myself a package. At the moment is should be somewhere between the USA and Belgium (got shipped last friday so I guess it will take a week or more to get here). So I hope to really start learning one the TMBG package arrives.

And finally, for the people interested in the gear, Since I'm a beginner the gear is also beginner-level (I'm thinking of getting a better bass when I'm a bit more experience and I have actual benefit from it).
The bass is a "lefty" Ibanez GSR200L BK (L = Lefthanded and BK = Black)
The Amp is an Ibanez SWX 35 (SoundWave X which should be a newer model of the standard SW with 35 Watt which is enough for me at the moment).

Well, That's my "Short" introduction ;)

Patrick

Elmeaux
08-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Hello and welcome!! Glad to hear you're doing well enough to enjoy the bass. You're gonna love the course when it shows up.

We have a lot of fun here, so join in! ;)

SilverFlame46
08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Patrick. When your TMBG Lessons arrives you will know immediately that you made the right purchase. Roy is an outstanding teacher and makes learning FUN. So enjoy and make sure you participate in the Thunder Row Forum as this will assist in your learning process also. Nice to meet you, Patrick!!!:cool:

Patrick
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome !

If the course is as good as I've been reading I surely will enjoy it.

If only I found that review site a bit sooner (first got one of those MusicMaster Pro memberships that promise a lot but deliver almost nothing. Fortunatly I was able to get a refund from Clickbank that handled the transaction so at least it didn't cost my more than some trouble to get the refund).
Now if I had seen that site earlier I would have known they also consider it a rip-off and that at least by their independent review the TMBG is the best course available at the moment).

I only hope the postal service doesn't mess-up this time, since the last time I ordered some DVD's from the US the "Track & Trace" had no valuable information and they arrive a few MONTHS after they were shipped (they call that "Priority" mail ?) and it was like it got run-over by a car.

But once I start posting all kinds of questions here you'll know it has arrived ;);)

Patrick
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Patrick. When your TMBG Lessons arrives you will know immediately that you made the right purchase. Roy is an outstanding teacher and makes learning FUN.

Well from some of the preview video's I've seen it look pretty professionally done, My only "concern" is the language barrier (since English is not my first language and understanding a spoken language is a bit harder than written language, due to things like dialects) but I guess the forums and the book will be helpful for that.

So enjoy and make sure you participate in the Thunder Row Forum as this will assist in your learning process also. Nice to meet you, Patrick!!!:cool:

I've already bookmarked this site (I might even make it the browsers homepage) so I'll try to be active here.

and Nice to meet you too !

TobiasMan
08-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Welcome Patrick.
I've been playing for a long time and find playing the bass a very relaxing endeavour. I just throw on a CD and sit back and noodle along. Don't have to think much and really lowers the stress level! :cool:

You'll find TMBG to be one of the very best instructional courses you can follow. Clear instructions, good support materials, and a very organized and logical progression. Oh, and playin' with the band (and you can loop that so you can just groove as long as you want) is a treat for completing each lesson. :)

Even after playing for 25 years (had music training but no formal bass training), I'm discovering where I've developed bad habits ( :eek:), ways to play things better (tips, and alternative approaches I hadn't thought of) and am thoroughly enjoying working my way through each lesson.

Use TMBG and you'll soon be fully enjoying my favourite instrument.!

Patrick
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh, and playin' with the band (and you can loop that so you can just groove as long as you want) is a treat for completing each lesson. :)

Ah, yes. The review was also very positive about this feature. It sounds so simple (being able to loop) but for some reason this course seems to be the only one that offers this ability,
With those Method books that come with a CD you can set the track you are playing/learning to keep repeating but that's not a DVD.
One minor point I see to TMBG is that as I understand it it's DVD only, so you need a DVD Player or PC nearby to be fully capable of using the course. Having some Jams on CD would allow to practice without the need for a DVD Player or PC. But that's just something I'm guessing would be a nice addition, and maybe I'm just wrong :cool:

Elmeaux
08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Having some Jams on CD would allow to practice without the need for a DVD Player or PC.

They did that. They created some mp3s of some of the songs to practice on your mp3 player. It's in one of the forum post topics. I don't remember which one, but they're here somewhere. You can download them.

TobiasMan
08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I think this is the link

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?253-MP3-Files-of-TMBG-Lesson-Songs

There are only four versions of the Keep it Simple Blues up for now.

Blame Ralph! ;)

SilverFlame46
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Blame Ralph! ;)

Oh by the way Patrick, this is the first mention of Ralph, but believe me it will not be the last. When you start your TMBG Lessons you will be introduced to Ralph. But he really is a very nice moon, ah, I mean guy!!!;)

stantonl
08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Welcome Patrick! I am sure you will be thrilled with the course once it arrives. Roy speaks pretty clearly and slowly so hopefully there won't be too much of a language barrier for you, plus you can always review each section again and again. Your writing seems to be very good, so I am sure you will not have much difficulty in this area.

Enjoy!

JeffB
08-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Welcome, just dont stare at Roys shoes :D
(like we could stare at Ralphs, hehhehehe)

TLDTR
08-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi, Patrick -

Allow me to add an "official" welcome to all the others. As you see, the people here at the Row are very friendly and, you will find, very helpful. As for your shipment, if recent experience is anything to go by, you should receive your copy of TMBG within a week to ten days from the time you placed your order. If not, please write info@thelearningdock.com and we'll track the order for you. We look forward to your contributions to the Forum and sincerely hope you find TMBG so inspiring that you forget about your headaches entirely!
P.S. I've been to Belgium several times and love it there!
All the best,
Ed.

Patrick
08-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Hi, Patrick -

Allow me to add an "official" welcome to all the others.

Thanks !

As you see, the people here at the Row are very friendly and, you will find, very helpful. As for your shipment, if recent experience is anything to go by, you should receive your copy of TMBG within a week to ten days from the time you placed your order. If not, please write info@thelearningdock.com and we'll track the order for you.

Well if the people at the post office do their jobs it should not be necessary to contact you (so let's hope I don't have to).

We look forward to your contributions to the Forum and sincerely hope you find TMBG so inspiring that you forget about your headaches entirely!
P.S. I've been to Belgium several times and love it there!
All the best,
Ed.
Ah, drank some of our fine beers then ? ;)

coachkip
08-24-2010, 05:49 AM
We are glad you made it here. If you have any problems or delays with the package make sure you call us (skype works great for that) or simply email Ed. I assure you we are real people working here in the US and we intend on getting you what you need to be successful.

Until then I hope this helps with your relaxing and the migraines. It cant be a fun thing to live with but from the sounds of it you are doing great.

Cant' wait to hear your progress.

Patrick
08-24-2010, 08:50 AM
I assure you we are real people working here in the US and we intend on getting you what you need to be successful.

To be honest at first I was a bit afraid it was some scam, but that was because I recently signed-up for something called MusicMaster Pro, where they promise 5000+ lessons and access to both Guitar, Bass Guitar AND Drum lessons in one package.

After paying however all you get is about 5 video lessons (or something like that) which are really short and bad made, a bunch of banners and some other crap.

Fortunately I found that review site a few days later and from reading their review it was obvious that this was a rip-off. I used PayPal since I don't have/need a CreditCard so I'm very happy with the refund system though. I basically opened a "dispute" at PayPal and it was send at Clickbuy (IIRC) who handled the payment transactions for them. To be sure I included a link to that review as "proof" and the issue was resolved in less than 2 days.

The review site was also VERY positive about this program (TMBG) so I decided to spend a bit more then for the rip-off but from the review it seems to be more then worth it.
But IF I had not found that review site I would not have risked paying for this.

I also contacted the admin from that site to ask about another on-line lesson that they had not reviewed and they replied that they indeed never reviewed this course but a recent customer contacted them that he was NOT satisfied with that course either so unfortunately at least 2 of these online courses seem to be not that honest and that makes it harder for true honest people/companies like yours (or I hope :D) to do business.

I don't know if it's allowed to post the name or URL for that site here (some forums consider that to be spam) so I just refer to it as "review site" but as I understand you need to send them a copy and ask them to review it so I guess you know what site I'm talking about.

line6bassman
08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Welcome a board from one of the oldtimers!! Hey! Did I say that? Hey I'm young, I keep telling myself!!
Never to late to learn.
GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

line6bassman

Patrick
08-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Well they say you're as "old" as you feel, so if you feel like a young man at the age of 18 then you are a young man at the age of 18 ;)

TLDTR
08-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Hello again, Patrick -

I'm not the beer lover in my family - that would be my wife - but I don't think she's tried any Belgian beers - she likes German and Danish, though - Kronenberg especially. We'll have to get back to Belgium so she can sample yours. As to your unfortunate dealings with other online businesses, you're right - they make it challenging for reputable businesses; that's why we link to independent reviews and invite potential customers to check out The Learning Dock with the Better Business Bureau. Please feel free to do so. Meantime, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns,
All the best,
Ed.

Patrick
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello again, Patrick -

I'm not the beer lover in my family - that would be my wife - but I don't think she's tried any Belgian beers - she likes German and Danish, though - Kronenberg especially. We'll have to get back to Belgium so she can sample yours.

Well make it a looooong vacation then since there are many beers (I have a book called "All Belgian Beers" that has more then 700 listed beers but I'm told we have more then 1000). Jupiler is our biggest pilsner beer, but I personally prefer the "blue chimay" which is a stronger beer (dark) brewed by Trappist monks (in fact Chimay is 1 of the 7 beers that are allowed to call themselves "Authentic Trappist Beer" the regulations for this are pretty strict like it must be brewed by the monks inside the abbey and some other criteria). The best beer in the world (was announced a few years ago) is another Trappist beer but the monks there are so strict it's almost impossible to get it (need to call a special hotline, drive to the abbey and you can only get 1 crate at a time IIRC).

As to your unfortunate dealings with other online businesses, you're right - they make it challenging for reputable businesses; that's why we link to independent reviews and invite potential customers to check out The Learning Dock with the Better Business Bureau. Please feel free to do so. Meantime, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns,
All the best,
Ed.
The problem is that certain scammers just add one of those logo's to their sites and hope potential customers don't actually check it's validity. But I guess an organization like BBB can then take legal action against these people.

Patrick
08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Well My package arrived today, so it's time to start learning to control the thunder (even though the included sticker claims I already can :D)

Roy
08-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Great idea for the mp3 Jam Tracks, guys! I'll see what we can do about that...

Patrick
08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Great idea for the mp3 Jam Tracks, guys! I'll see what we can do about that...

Thanks !
I think many people would appreciate that.

c-note
08-31-2010, 01:38 AM
welcome aboard patrick