PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a couple of transcriptions

Bassic Bill
05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I have been trying to find sheet music, transcriptions, tabs, whatever for a couple of songs: "American Dream" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) and "Our Lips Are Sealed" (Go-Go's).

I found tabs for American Dream but they don't make sense when I transcribe them - makes me nuts.

I can't find tabs that come close to making sense for Our Lips Are Sealed.

Any help would be much appreciated please!

Thank you all!

Ditto
05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Ok, I don't have it on paper, but this guy has a bunch of songs played out. If you slow down the video or stop it and then write down what he is playing , you can figure it out.

I hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonPPmrAEec

Bassic Bill
05-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Thank you Ditto! I don't know why I didn't think to check out covers. There are several for this tune. I hope to sort it all out in time. Your help is appreciated!

Ditto
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
You are welcome,

I use this guys site quite often. I may not even want to play some of the songe he covers and he does not play them the way it is on the record sometimes. I am not very good at picking songs out by ear, so this kind of stuff really helps me. In a band situation, you need to play it close or people will notice that it is not right, he plays it close enough I think.

Ditto

Stephen
05-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I found this website very useful. Search the band you want, when it goes to the page up on the left side open up the bass tabs and all the tabs available for that band are there. Most of the tabs will get you the notes you need to get started and really figure out the song but I find a lot of the hand positions are wrong or awkward so figure out the notes from the tab and find the correct fretting and you play the songs so much easier. I find once you get the first notes of any song you can generally figure out the song in musical notes without tabs. I actually write down the notes so I can play it anywhere on the fretboard and choose the best for me. A lot of open strings shouldn't be and proves the fret position of the tabs are usually wrong so stay away from open strings unless it's actually required for the song.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Bassic Bill
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I have quite a collection of ultimate-guitar tabs. I like to plug them into Power Tabs and generate the transcriptions from the tabs. I've been working on that with Our Lips Are Sealed & American Dream. American Dream is proving to be something of a challenge.

Stephen
05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I didn't know there was anything like Power Tabs. I'm gonna check that out if the Mac download works. Thanks for the info.