PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

Brad
08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Brad and I'm from Oregon. I just received TMBG today and I'm looking forward to all the great lessons and information I learn here.

I played bass for a couple years by self teaching but took an extended absence (~7 years) once we started having kids. Now I'm just looking at getting back in the swing of things and doing it properly this time.

Cheers!

Elmeaux
08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
HELLLLOOOOO!!!

:::tosses Ralph to Brad:::

The moon is yours!! Welcome and good luck with your lessons!! :p

Brad
08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Can I toss him back or am I under a temporary hazing period? :cool:

JeffB
08-25-2010, 04:35 PM
He rolls, just give him a push when your done with him.

Greg Jewell
08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Brad:

Welcome....!

Suggestion: Start one of the kids on piano, another on drums, and if you can manage a quartet
(as we don't know just how busy you have been) start the youngest on sax....you're in the band, man!

Greg

Brad
08-25-2010, 05:03 PM
That's not a half bad idea Greg! I'll have to get my wife to play something and then we'll have all 4 we need.

SilverFlame46
08-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Brad. Nice to meet you!!!:)

Brad
08-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks! Wow, my hand is already sore from lesson 1 this afternoon. :eek:

TLDTR
08-26-2010, 12:02 AM
It's a pleasure to have you in the neighborhood. In the event you don't know what all the Ralph business is about, well - as you get into TMBG, it will become evident. One of our Canadian members has a real crush on him...
Enjoy your lessons, but as Roy often says, don't overdo it. Take your time. TMBG generally takes upwards of 18 months to master. Enjoy the ride, but don't damage yourself!
All the best,
Ed.

Elmeaux
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM
One of our Canadian members has a real crush on him...

JeffB is Canadian?? Who knew??

:p

Patrick
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Brad,
From one n00b to the other : Welcome !
Still waiting for my copy of TMBG though, but international mail can take a while.

Brad
08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
TMBG generally takes upwards of 18 months to master. Enjoy the ride, but don't damage yourself!

Thanks Ed. I was wondering how long the course would take. Has anyone completed the whole course yet? :cool:

JeffB
08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
JeffB is Canadian?? Who knew??

:p

Yup, BIGGGGG earth quake shifted us all up North a few lines.

TobiasMan
08-26-2010, 05:26 PM
NIce try Elmeaux, but I don't think that's gonna hide yer tracks. ;)

Ralph
08-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't wish to alarm anyone, but we seem to have a lot of folks from Canadia poppin' up around here. My guess is they're planning on subduing the continent and their secret weapon (don't tell anyone I told you) is the bass guitar! I have a hard time believing that Roy could be involved in anything so duplicitous, nefarious, and maladroit, but when I was passing his office this morning, my olfactory apparati (and say what you will about my psyiognamy, Ralphie's got nostrils!) were assaulted by the distinctive and not unpleasant aroma of Canadian bacon...
I'm just sayin'...

coachkip
08-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Welcome Brad, I love how our members induct people immediately into the fray. Have fun and enjoy.

Elmeaux
08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Welcome Brad, I love how our members induct people immediately into the fray. Have fun and enjoy.

That is NOT how you spell "indict."

:: ominous rumble::::

MWWWAHAHAHAHAHA

TLDTR
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi, Brad - Good question. Since our release of TMBG last October our earliest students are up to lessons 8-10, thereabouts, which is a good pace. It means they're really applying Roy's instruction...and getting the principles in their heads and under their fingers - as Roy strongly suggests - before moving on. You may notice that, at the end of each lesson, Ashley says "you're ready to move on when...." then she recaps the things you need to master from that lesson before you're ready to jump into the next one. She's not just there to look pretty (though she does), it's good advice.
The learner who's made it farthest thus far is at Lesson 17. I think TMBG is all he does!
Ed,

Roy
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Glad you're here! Keep us posted on your progress. I'm only an email or a post away.....
Have fun,
Roy

Roy
08-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Lesson 17? I gotta hear this guy! Post a video or mp3, wouldja?

Brad
08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi, Brad - Good question. Since our release of TMBG last October our earliest students are up to lessons 8-10, thereabouts, which is a good pace. It means they're really applying Roy's instruction...and getting the principles in their heads and under their fingers - as Roy strongly suggests - before moving on. You may notice that, at the end of each lesson, Ashley says "you're ready to move on when...." then she recaps the things you need to master from that lesson before you're ready to jump into the next one. She's not just there to look pretty (though she does), it's good advice.
The learner who's made it farthest thus far is at Lesson 17. I think TMBG is all he does!
Ed,

Sounds good. That gives me a good idea where I need to be about a year from now.

ChuckRth56
08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I have now been through two lessons and find that they must be reviewed frequently to become proficient. The other members of my worship band have noticed a difference in the way things are sounding on the bass which is a positive thing. I'm still working on the thumb position and getting the pivoting thump on the left hand down, but I think I am making progress. I guess the best advice I have for both myself and others is not to move too fast. I can see where it could take 18-24 months or more to master, especially if you are a working person and don't have a lot of time to study. I have also heard it takes about 10 years to master an instrument, so no need to be in a hurry the way I see it. BTW...is anyone else in the Colorado Springs, CO area?

Greg Jewell
08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Lesson 17...? That's like working on your PhD in bass, right?

Greg

c-note
08-28-2010, 03:01 PM
nice to meet you brad enjoy

Bass4Gsus
08-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks Ed. I was wondering how long the course would take. Has anyone completed the whole course yet? :cool:

Brad

Got the course end of February, and on lesson 8. To be fair, not new on bass, and had lessons years ago, but did not know how to practice, so squandered my lessons. TMBG is filling in all the holes in my playing. In the meantime I learned practice is not playing to a CD, that's rehearsal.

I am also working on studying theory, and additional exercises etc that Roy recommended with the course as the key central component.

The key is to take your time, it's not a race. Practice is supposed to be slow and build up and be absorbed. And someone said it's not supposed to be fun, and it's not jamming to your favorite track. There are parts I enjoy, but it is work, but I always leave my practice space felling like I made progress and satisfied.

Bottom line, people have noticed a difference in my playing, so the course is working.

I know Roy's course will get you there.