PDA

View Full Version : Oteil Burbridge

ArtLiestman
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band last night in Vancouver. Woof! They are an 11 piece band and they are tight, tight, tight! If you get a chance, you should definitely go to see them. They played for a little over 2 1/2 hours (not counting a short intermission). I was worn out by the end. (If you can't see them, their new live album is just killer. Get it today!)

Each of the band members got some solo time and they all are talented enough to lead their own bands - excellent players all. (Derek Trucks (guitar), Susan Tedeschi (vocals, guitar), two drummers, bass, keyboards and flute (by Oteil's brother Kofi), tenor sax, trumpet, trombone/vocals, plus two backup vocalist (one of whom played guitar on one tune)). They have a very full sound and run the dynamic gamut from whispering to shouting.

Oteil was solid, holding things together all night. He threw in some nice fills here and there, but really kept the band cooking along. Although he had his 6 string there, he never played it - my only disappointment of the evening as I was looking forward to one of his singing/playing solos. He did play an earthy solo on his 4 string bass banjo which was new to me.

So, there you go. Go see this band and buy their live cd. You won't be sorry.

Elmeaux
06-20-2012, 01:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idCMAyU5jc&feature=related

http://www.oteil.net/news.html

Nice!

VerryBerry
06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band last night in Vancouver. Woof! They are an 11 piece band and they are tight, tight, tight! If you get a chance, you should definitely go to see them. They played for a little over 2 1/2 hours (not counting a short intermission). I was worn out by the end. (If you can't see them, their new live album is just killer. Get it today!)

I saw them in Edmonton on Friday the 22nd. Loved them! Can't say I was too happy with the house sound at the Jubilee Auditorium. When things got loud, everything seemed too jumbled together. But I knew the band and their extremely high level of musicianship and was able to enjoy it just the same.

Back in about 1996, I saw the Allman Brothers band in Edmonton as well. They were playing in a conference centre which was just a large glorified cafeteria type of room with accordian wall dividers. They were LOUDER than the Tedeschi Trucks band, but every instrument/voice was easily discernable. And my group was very near the front near the WALL OF DEAF :D .
That clarity at such high sound levels made the night a truly memorable experience. Oh what a feelling!

Not sure why the house sound at the "Jube" was sub-par. Tedeschi Trucks band surely deserved better.

Here's one of my favourite "YouTubes" of Midnight In Harlem performed by by TTB for a live radio taping - where the audio was first rate.
So SMOOOOOOTH!! Absolutely FABULOUS!!

Hit the "Full Screen" button, crank it and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GkdCiqsFUI

TobiasMan
06-24-2012, 03:44 PM
The Jube sound is normally very good. Could it have been that the stage volume was overwhelming the FOH?

Wouldn't be the first time that the sound engineers couldn't do anything about the mud in the venue, simply because the FOH isn't the loudest source in the venue.

ArtLiestman
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear that you got to see them, VerryBerry. Hopefully some other Row denizens will get a chance during the rest of the tour.

VerryBerry
06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
The Jube sound is normally very good. Could it have been that the stage volume was overwhelming the FOH?

Wouldn't be the first time that the sound engineers couldn't do anything about the mud in the venue, simply because the FOH isn't the loudest source in the venue.

Not being versed in such matters (yet?), that could very well have been the problem. Appreciate that insight - it does make sense. The second half was slightly better than the first, thankfully.

Sound problems aside, the crowd was very appreciative that they kept Edmonton on their map. They are a fantastic band of very accomplished players. I'd see them again.