PDA

View Full Version : Hello. My name is Bill, and I'm a bass player.

Dark Shades Bill
08-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Hello, all.

My course arrived this week.

I started playing bass about a year and a half ago, but I've played several instruments (woodwind) throughout my life.
I'm a 40-year old professional project manager with a passion for playing music.

Like I said, I've played other instruments, but they were seldom a real pleasure to play.
But when I picked up the bass, I instantly felt that I had found my true voice.

I started taking lessons about a year ago.
I recently sat back to took a real close look at my progress, and was not happy.
I saw an add for this course in an old Bass Player magazine, and gave it a shot.

I played the first disc yesterday.
Roy's technique of moving your right-hand thumb along the strings immediately improved my tone.
My teacher taught me to NEVER move my thumb off the pickup - and I hated the way the low strings rang. My teacher showed me all kinds of strange and uncomfortable ways to mute the strings with my left hand, but Roy's method just makes more sense - and it's what I've been doing somewhat naturally anyway - and have been "corrected" for it repeatedly by my teacher.

Long story short: I fired my teacher.
If I can see immediate progress like this on just Lesson 1 of Roy's course, then I think I'll be much happier in the long run - and the course will pay for itself in 3 weeks (yes - he was an expensive teacher too).

Looking forward to rumblin' with ya!
Dark Shades Bill

SilverFlame46
08-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey Bill, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Your comments concerning the TMBG course is consistent with everyone that has purchased it. You know you made the right move already. Don't be a stranger to this forum as this is a GREAT place to learn also. Welcome aboard Bill and it is nice to meet you!!!

jthomas353
08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Hello Bill,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the TMBG course as much as I do.

I was self taught for about 6 months before I found TMBG. After the frist couple of lessons I've corrected several bad habits I picked up during that time. The course is definitely money well spent. I use some other tools as well to supplement TBMG but it is now my main course of instruction.

Happy practicing and playing.

John

Elmeaux
08-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Welcome, Bill. Hop in and post anytime. Post pix of your axes and gear. Enjoy the lessons!! Roy's the best!!

c-note
08-28-2010, 02:57 PM
welcome bill enjoy the program i know i am

Patrick
08-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Welcome Bill,

Roy's technique of moving your right-hand thumb along the strings immediately improved my tone.
My teacher taught me to NEVER move my thumb off the pickup - and I hated the way the low strings rang. My teacher showed me all kinds of strange and uncomfortable ways to mute the strings with my left hand, but Roy's method just makes more sense - and it's what I've been doing somewhat naturally anyway - and have been "corrected" for it repeatedly by my teacher.

I think this moving thumb technique is called "Floating Thumb" but I'm not sure.
I've been trying to use it but for me the "keeping the thumb on the pick-up" works easier but maybe when the course arrives here Ray will help me learn this since as you say it's a good muting technique. I had no real "Bass" teacher (a Guitar player gave me some basic lessons) and the books don't really talk that much about this techniques.

Bass4Gsus
08-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Moving the thumb to mute the strings is called the "Floating Thumb"

Until I moved to a 5 string from a 4 I kept my thumb on the pickup and against the E string, I did not need more muting than that.

With the 5 string I found muting to be an issue, and some of it is the low B and some of it is the increased sustain on the new bass which affects all the strings.

I find the floating thumb works the best for me, but I also use other fingers as the need arises. I do not limit to one technique. I have also used a piece of foam wedged under the strings at the bridge while I improved my technique, just for the B & E strings. I no longer need to use the foam.

Another benefit of floating thumb is I now vary where I pluck the strings with my fingers (or pick if you choose), from close to the neck, middle, or at the bridge. This is hard to do when anchored at the pickup.

A good teacher is valuable, but not all teachers are good ones. Over time you will pick up technique ideas and some will help and some don't, even if you have a teacher. It's good to try out different ideas and techniques and find the ones that work best for you, or more importantly for the song that is in front of you.