PDA

View Full Version : Paint vs Lacquer

Ditto
10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey Roy, or anyone I guess,

I am looking at this 60th anniversary P-bass.....

http://www.fender.com/products/60th-pbass/60th-anniversary-precision-bass

It has a Lacquer finish and the sound will be "BETTER" acording to the salesman....

It feels nice and looks awesome.. but, anyone ever own a natral wood lacquered bass?

line6bassman
10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
If you like it why not? If it sounds like the recordings on the site Why not. But I'm from the old school sound you know!!

Line6bassman

Ditto
10-15-2012, 11:06 PM
was thinking about putting flatwounds on it... how is that for OLD SCHOOL?

Elmeaux
10-16-2012, 12:26 AM

Now THAT should sound GREAT!!!

line6bassman
10-16-2012, 12:32 AM

That would work for old school for sure! Go for it!

TobiasMan
10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
I have used flatwounds on my old Precision bass for at least 10 years now. No better way to achieve the vintage sounds!!!!

Ditto
10-16-2012, 04:49 PM
OK,

let me throw a wrench into this.

Playing live vs. playing alone. I can dial in the perfect low bottom end sound through my bass and MESA amp. But, when the band fires up and find that I have to bring up the mids as the LOW end melds with the bass drum and the highs get into the guitar sounds. So, as I have NEVER had flats on any of my Basses before. What does that do to your live sound?

TobiasMan
10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Unless you are running a very high powered, thunder rig, once the band kicks in, the area of bass frequencies that cuts through and provides the "punch" is clearly the low mids to mids. Dial these frequencies up a bit and listen to the difference!

It takes a LOT of power to move the air required to reproduce the lowest notes and the more you have the lows cranked, the less power that is available to produce the low/mids that are actually heard out there. Try cutting some of the very lows and boosting the low/mids. You'll likely find that your sound out there is much better and much more easily heard in the band mix with this approach.

OK, if you're running a stack of 18" powered subs or have a multi mega watt amp pushing efficient cabs that can produce the very lows, you can turn the herd loose, but those frequencies are more "sensed" than heard.

The flatwounds on my P bass have very little high end, and no snap, just a full, round mid/low thump, right where you need it. Not a tone that provides opportunities for pyrotechnics on the bass, but if you are playing 12 bar blues, or country, or old style rock, they are just what the Dr. ordered.

Elmeaux
10-16-2012, 10:52 PM
And don't forget that what you hear from your vantage point on stage is different to what they hear in the crowd. You need to sample how it sounds from within the crowd.

line6bassman
10-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Play it nice and loud and I'll tell you how it sounds from here!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW??!!!

Roy
10-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I had an old '63 P with the nitrocellulose lacquer finish and it did feel comfortable and sounded great. I've got great sounding finished (painted) basses. I think it's a toss up-if you like it, buy it.
I do prefer a tung oil finish on the back of my Carvin basses because I sweat a bit when I play and it doesn't cause my thumb to drag on the back of the neck.
Looks like a great bass, btw! Enjoy!

Ditto
10-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks Roy,

Did you have Flats on that 63 P?

Ditto
11-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Well,

I got some D'ADARIO Flat Wounds and put them on my Fender Jazz bass. I got the XL Chromes in medium. I installed them and then made a few minor adjustments, tunes it up and have been playing them for a week now. I have to say they are way different. They are FLAT.... I know DUH they are FLAT WOUND. But the way my fingers roll off them when I am playing it wierd. It takes a little getting used to. As far as the sound goes? Warm Mellow I guess. It is a big change that is for sure. Not sure if I like it yet. I have been playing around a lot with my tone from both Bass and amp lately. So the jury is still out on that one!

Ditto
11-16-2012, 02:10 AM
OH, I did not get the 60th.. I opted for this one instead as the neck is a 71 THIN.. I like those. It should be in by the first week of DECEMBER. My first Mexican Made instrament. Never thought I would do that but the owner of the Music store said he toured the factory where all the SIGNATURE models are made and said the quality is excellent.

http://www.fender.com/products/foofighters/nate-mendel-p-bass

It is what I wanted.. FENDER P---- ROSEWOOD FRET BOARD--- Thin neck -- RED COLOR-- MADE IN AMERICA <--- OOOOPS can't have it all I guess