PDA

View Full Version : Huh!? What you say?!

TroyJames
10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Just got back from my first ever gig...... and I'm about deaf. Got a hamburger and 50 bucks from the deal, and some best I've ever eaten, deep fried catfish.
The crowd seemed to really like us. It was a biker, Toys For Tots, charity rally. Me personally, I spent alot of the time trying to remember what I was supposed to play that the times when I could cut lose and enjoy the moment were few and far between. All in all though, a good experiance.
Eh? What?

Elmeaux
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Congrats! Any video?

Mmmm, hamburgers...

TroyJames
10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
My wife took 1 video, 25 minutes long! It would take me 3 days to upload that.

line6bassman
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Put it on your computer and use a free editor (real player etc)and just piece it in what you like best!! Oh, and by the way!!
I HEAR YA!!! OH, and by this way also, you think we gonna let you off that easy??????

Line6bassmanTR

TobiasMan
10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
First big gig is always a stress point, but now that you've done it, the next one will be easier. You will no doubt have picked up some thoughts on where you need to concentrate your efforts so you won't have as many panic points as you may have felt at this one.

Gigs are where the rubber hits the road. ;)

Congrats and good luck!!!

TroyJames
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Put it on your computer and use a free editor (real player etc)and just piece it in what you like best!! Oh, and by the way!!
I HEAR YA!!! OH, and by this way also, you think we gonna let you off that easy??????

Line6bassmanTR

Ohhhh, I had no delusions about being let off easy :)

TroyJames
10-28-2012, 10:41 PM
First big gig is always a stress point, but now that you've done it, the next one will be easier. You will no doubt have picked up some thoughts on where you need to concentrate your efforts so you won't have as many panic points as you may have felt at this one.

Gigs are where the rubber hits the road. ;)

Congrats and good luck!!!

It was a huge learning experience in terms of what I need to work on. According to my wife, not playing with my back to the crowd would be a great place to start!

Bassix
10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Congrats on getting that first gig outta the way, Troy! Get some good ear plugs and you'll gig 'til you're a hundred years old! ;)

MikeB
10-29-2012, 04:45 AM
send us pictures of your groupies!!!

The bass player has the best groupies!

Elmeaux
10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
send us pictures of your groupies!!!

The bass player has the best groupies!

I could use a groupie to help me get my creaky self out of bed in the morning.

line6bassman
10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
According to my wife, not playing with my back to the crowd would be a great place to start!

OOOOO!!!! OOOOOH!!! ?? Not playing with my back to the crowd would be a great place to start.
That could have been the worst thing you could have said (to me) are it could have maybe been the best thing you could have ever said? As you know sometimes our wife’s have a lot of wisdom what they
See in us. So this reminded me of something that might be of help on that matter and also what also
Supremely, blankly, blankly, blanked me off on this matter!!! One thing to remember on this matter
And by my own experience in this matter and then some, http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread.php?58-The-Mexican-Head-Road-Rash!! Unless you are just downright playing the wrong notes and standing out like a sore thumb are unless the people in
In the audience are your peer of bass players, people for the most part don’t even know what you are
Doing, (read the road rash link) so don’t worry about that part. The reason I bring this up is because if I can find this video I saw and would like to get reactions (if I can find it) of a kind of known bass player
That played the whole concert with his back to the audience. What was my (first) reaction to this video?
And I’m feeling it right now, was that it reminded me of the Blues brother’s movie where they were behind the screen and people were throwing bottles at them!!! Like what do you call this @&*#!!!!

So please don’t take this is any way bad from me I’m just trying to explain from my own experience
In this matter what reaction you might get from some if you would be constantly keeping your back to your FANS (like me). So don’t you worry yourself with what people think, Go!!! Head!!! And give it all
You got!! You are another one around here that I see that we could be hearing more about outside
Of TR!! So let those audiences see the abundance of bass power that I know you have flowing out of you that I’ve seen here on TR!!! I encourage you and am pulling for you and cannot wait to see what’s next!!!

Line6bassmanTR

Ditto
10-29-2012, 12:42 PM
YOU GOT PAID!

That makes you a PRFFESIONAL BASS PLAYER!!!!!!!!

And that in itself is AWESOME!

Remember now that you can start your own business and write off all your gear and gas and internet and phone bills right off the top of your taxable income...... You are a Bass player (GUN) for hire....

Even if you never gig again, you can avoid a lot of taxes and it is totally legal!

Way to GO!

yodo
10-29-2012, 01:21 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Hope in three days we will see the video.

TroyJames
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Haha! Thanks all!

Bassix, I was thinking of getting some of that swimmers wax (sounds horrible) that swimmers use to plug their ears, and use it to partially plug up my ears.

Mike, soon as I get some groupies I'll flood the internet with pics!

L6BMan, the reason I played with my back to the crowd most of the time was that I found the crowd to be distracting. Being the total noob that I am, I didn't need the distraction! I once read the Jim Morrison used to sing with his back to the crowd when he first started singing with the Doors.

Ditto, thanks. I hadn't thought of that but, yea, that is a fantastic idea! Also, I figured that once I got that hamburger I was then a professional. A cheap professional but a pro no the less.

Yodo, Haha! It might take 4 days.

TroyJames
12-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Played our bar gig last night. We had our highs, we had our lows, we had our dancing drunk girls crashing into the guitar amp, the drum kit, the bass player. And, we all got our $100! Now after 3 hours of sleep, it's off to work. Blargh....

Elmeaux
12-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Played our bar gig last night. We had our highs, we had our lows, we had our dancing drunk girls crashing into the guitar amp, the drum kit, the bass player. And, we all got our $100! Now after 3 hours of sleep, it's off to work. Blargh....

Sounds like a workin' man's gig to me!! Congrats!!

Ditto
12-16-2012, 11:57 AM
The life of a Musician!

Work all night at your passion........ Then go to work to support your PASSION!

TroyJames
12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Somewhat recovered from Sat. night now. Lots of sleep the past couple days. The best part for me of the whole show was this old fella came up to me and was tryiung to tell me something but I couldn't make out what he was saying at first, then I understood. He was saying that he was deaf so couldn't hear the music but he could feel the bass. He got a big grin and said thank you. Well that just made the whole night.
Here are somethings I think I've learned so far on this journey.
1 Have fun!
2 Find other people to sit and jam with. Doesn't matter how "good" you or they are, just do it.
3 If you find a good drummer, make them part of your family. Second only to your wife and kids! :p

Ditto
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Number 3 is most AWESOME!

Once you have been playing together a while you begin to "FEEL" the groove and know when to stop, start and end. The visual ques you get from eachother will come with time.

TroyJames
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
It's getting there. This having 2 drummers is nice in some ways , but in other ways...... not so much. We did one song called, "One More Summer" which the guitarist and I have played together many times now, but Dana, the "winter" drummer hadn't ever played it. It was going alright until he just stopped 1/2 way through the song, thinking it was over. After a second we brought it back together but in 1/2 time. It was actually kind of cool. After 1 verse we took it back to regular time.

david
12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Well done, Troy - You do us all proud!

TroyJames
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks David. I'm just a hack musician but, with help, I am improving!
Another cool moment from last Saturday. All evening there was this old fella sitting on "his" barstool at the very end of the bar, closest to us. He looked to be in his 70's and looked like he spent most of his waking (and maybe unwaking?) hours on that very stool. Well, we played our last song a little after 1am. It was "All Along The Watchtower", and I'll be danged but if he didn't finally get off that stool and dance. His dancing only consisted of swaying side to side by about 2" with his arms lifted up some but I suspect that, for him, was a pretty good effort. I enjoyed that closing to the evening.