PDA

View Full Version : Can a kid learn from video w/o a teacher?

vw66bus
11-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey yall,
If you did not see my intro, my son, Axel has a P-Bass.
He is 7 yrs old, tall and skinny so
"wearing" the bass boggs him down.
We have a stool w/ foot rails that he uses so he can rest the bass on his leg.

Anyway, to the point.
Wife thinks that video lessons are no good w/o a teacher!
Your thoughts on this topic are quite encouraged!!!!

Axel had a private teacher who was a julliard graduate.
Of course he knew music, but was not a bass player.
He taught all types of strings from violin to cello.
The teacher has since found a gig somewhere (Nashville comes to mind).

So Axel is w/o a teacher.
And I have to convince wife that TMBG is a good investment.
(I did not think the time spent w/ teacher was a good investment)
Of course, Axel wants to play one of his favorite tunes, which stem from my musical taste, 80s punk.
He loves Sum41.
He can play the Smoke on the Water riff.

Peace,
vw66bus

TobiasMan
12-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes they certainly can!

Roy is an excellent, well trained teacher/instructor. One of the advantages of a video lesson is that Axel (or anyone using the materials) can play a video over and over again until they've got it right. He can also practice with the loops and materials included and eventually the band. Its like having the teacher teach the same lesson over again (and how much would that cost in lesson fees!!?). :confused:

Nick West was mentioned in one of our member's posts in your introduction thread. He is one of the youngest guys learning from TMBG (started at 8 yrs old) and is doing an amazing job. There are several videos on this site showing him playing and his progress.

Nick West (http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?184-Legends-of-Day-After-Tomorrow). Nick West 2 (http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?810-Go-West-Young-Man!) Nick West 3 (http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?909-Here-s-the-Latest-from-the-Wild-Wests!)

Elmeaux
12-01-2012, 01:46 AM
+1

Your boy is in good hands with Roy.

Ditto
12-01-2012, 02:51 AM
A benifit to having a teacher is someone to watch you play so you do not pick up the bad position habbits that WE OLDER players have had to re-learn with TMBG. Having a teacher is by no means a bad thing. It drives you to get your homework done.

Can it be done YES

Is getting a one on one teacher a WASTE? Depends on the teacher, I think even Roy would agree that if you find your son a BASS teacher to suplement TMBG, he would learn faster and be more technical of a player. So if he learns fast, it can't hurt. The question is the money? Is he going to be giging player in a year? Probably not, so you are safe using TMBG ;)

Basslad
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
TMBG is definitely a good investment. Your son is only seven and may need some additional guidance and encouragement as things get tougher, but it doesn’t have to come from a private teacher if you’re willing to take on this task. Who knows, you may even enjoy it.

OK, maybe that’s not what I should be driving at, but you’re on this forum asking questions, so you are helping your son already. Your interpretation of what the course is teaching, may be enough. Then again, perhaps your son won’t even need that.

IMHO if your son takes it far enough with TMBG, there may be a time for additional private lessons, but not necessarily at this point. If he follows Roy closely, developing bad habits should not be a factor, either. Good luck!