PDA

View Full Version : Ampeg BA108 vs. Ibanez IBZ10B

Noel1983
12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I am getting very close to purchasing my bass amp combo unit. I was going to purchase the Ibanez IBZ10B http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-IBZ10B but as I was researching various amps just now, I came across the Ampeg BA108 http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba108/ (") and now I am confused again.

The Ampeg combo unit has separate inputs for passive and active pickups, and the Ibanez does not. Until I learned of this feature, I had no idea that such inputs even existed. My bass, a Dean Edge 10A PJ, has active pick-ups and I need to know if the amp I get needs to be designed for them, or if the separate inputs are just a superfluous addition and unnecessary.

Please help me, I am probably a week to ten days from purchasing my amp, and I want to make sure that I get the right amp for my needs. I live in a small apartment, and don't play anywhere but here, so power output isn't really a consideration. I am going to purchase headphones separately, and I just need to know which of these amps, if either, is going to be more compatible with the active pick-ups on my bass.

Elmeaux
12-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Have you had a chance to listen to each one in a store?

DaveB
12-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Any bass amp will be compatible with both active and passive pickups. Active basses have a built-in preamplifier and will (generally) provide a little higher input level to the amp. Some amps have a switch to compensate for this difference in levels between active and passive basses. Evidently, Ampeg chose to use separate inputs instead of a switch. Amps that have neither may require the user to adjust the volume control to get the same perceived loudness when changing between active and passive basses. It's not a compatibility issue, it's just a convenience for players that want to swap between active and passive basses without having to change the volume setting on the amp.

TobiasMan
12-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Those two amps appear to be very similar. The Ampeg has 25 watts and an 8" speaker and the Ibanez has 10 watts and a 6.5" speaker. The Ampeg weighs 27 lbs and the Ibanez weighs 13. For home practice, it is not likely that you'll notice much difference between them.

Dave has already well explained the dual inputs on the Ampeg vs the single on the Ibanez. I did find the user manual for the Ampeg and it provided a bit more information on the rear I/Os on that amp - couldn't find anything comparable for the Ibanez.

The Ampeg does have a separate volume control for the CD/MP3 input in case there is a mismatch between the volume of those sources and your bass.

Don't see any show stopper advantages of one over the other. Can you get to someplace to try them out with your bass. That would tell you more than comparing the specs.

bassischill
12-23-2012, 06:48 AM
I have the BA108 and I would go with that one hands down. I used the "You'll never be sorry that you bought too much, but will always be sorry if you bought too little" theory. This is a terrific amp for the price. Don't sell short the ability to raise and lower the volume of the external play along audio source. It's huge. There are times when I want the lesson songs to be playing very faintly in the background and sometimes I put them at volume equal to the bass volume.

I see this being my home amp for years. If you buy that 10 watt, you might eventually want more and will have to spend once again from scratch.

5Slinger
12-23-2012, 07:17 AM
I would probably go with the Ampeg, My experience with Ibanez amps (their low end amps) has been that they lack in tone (meaning not very good on the low end) but they are generally well constructed. The ampegs I have played have all been great sounding amps. Probably about equal on construction to the ibanez (again comparing their low end products) Check this out for sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eTA3JflUnA

I might also suggest going 10 inch v. 8 inch. You might actually want to turn your bass up once in a while :-) and 8 inches is not going to give it to you no matter which brand you buy.

Best

AB

Noel1983
12-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Thank you to everybody for your advice on my amp issues. My local music supply store is not a recognized dealer of either Ibanez or Ampeg products, and there isn't an authorized dealer for either of them within a 50 mile radius of my house. That doesn't mean that they aren't for sale somewhere near by, but I don't know where.

As a result, I was planning to buy an amp online from an authorized dealer, maybe zZounds.com.

DaveB, thank you for explaining the difference between active vs. passive pick-ups. I didn't understand anything about them except for needing a battery in my amp. Now I know why.

Bassischill, thanks for giving me a testimonial of your experience with the ampeg. That volume control for the CD input sounded like it would be useful when I get good enough to jam with.

Again thanks to everyone for responding with such helpful advice. Being a complete noob with a musical instrument, I frequently find myself completely baffled as to what I am even reading about. It is great to have a community of helpful musicians instead of a bunch of internet trolls.