PDA

View Full Version : Amplug or Amphones?

debitcred1
01-15-2013, 05:30 PM
I know we recently had a thread here on the Amphones, which was very informative.

I am tired of everyone else having GAS, and the only thing I have done is new strings. Anybody feeling sorry for me yet?

Anyway, I am getting one of these, just don't know which one. Guess my questions are these? 1. If you have the phones model, how are they? Comfortable? Ease do controls? 2. Has anyone here used the plug? Leaning toward the plug model, until my current head phone died on me a couple weeks ago.

Thanks in advance, I know this group will give me the straight info!

BTW, unless I missed it, do we have any reports on the new bass from Nicki?

Elmeaux
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
TLD has given all of Nicki's info to the people at Brubaker. I haven't heard an update about arrival estimates. If they aren't getting on it, we may have to stoke the fire.

As to the AmPhones versus AmPlugs, I have the plug-in version. Everything about the sound it fantastic and it has a really impressive overdrive. It's about $50.00 and you must supply your own headphones. It's a great way to un-tether your bass from a cable and move about the room. Depending on the orientation of your bathroom, you could even play while in the john... not that I do, mind you. :p The wall's on the wrong side and doesn't allow for the neck.

PROS: You can hook up an mp3 player to it so you can play along with your fave songs.

CONS: Cheap plastic body and the plug fits loosely in the jack - I have to put a piece of tape on mine to hold it in place and keep it from falling out or slipping. When the batteries get low (takes two AAAs), the sound gets wacky and it can't hold a note - the notes start to wobble about and don't stay on pitch.

I haven't tried the phones but I know we have some here who have taken the plunge.

I wouldn't trade the plug for anything - I do enjoy using it, but I'd love to try the phones.

Rubbersoul
01-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Have to agree with Elmeaux, I too have the plug and the freedom of being able to practice where I want is great, I quite often sit out on the back deck during these warmer months to catch the cool breezes and not having to move my setup from my practice area is a definite bonus, just my bass the plug and a music player, too easy. Can't comment on the phones, they weren't out when I purchased, and haven't tried them. :cool: