PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

Basszman
09-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I am just getting stated on the bass and so glad this online community exists! I made the commitment, bought a G&L L-2000 USA bass and am looking for some direction. Ironically I did this just after I sprained my left wrist in a mountain bike accident. So i have spent the last couple of months trying to work it out and am finally feeling ready to go full steam ahead in this endeavor. I am looking for a teacher but also attracted to Roy's program. There seems to be many experienced players using TMBG and it sounds pretty challenging. Is it appropriate for a beginner? I am seriously considering purchasing the course. Will i get through lesson 1 and find the rest too advanced? Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

jthomas353
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello Bassman,

Welcome to the forum and TMBG. I think you will hear that an instructor is a good idea, especially in the beginning. A good one will be able to get you started on the right track as far as the basics, how to hold the bass, fingering, plucking, etc. They can catch bad form, etc. before it becomes ingrained. How long you keep an instructor is up to you but really depends on how dedicated you are to learning bass and how fast you want to progress.

Speaking from my experience, if you follow the suggestions in the TMBG course regarding not moving ahead until you have the concepts of the lesson down fairly solid you should be fine. The course is structured so each lesson builds from the previous lesson.

These are just my opinions so please use them with a grain of salt.

Best of luck to you in your journey to learn to play bass.

John

TLDTR
09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Hello, Basszman - Welcome to the 'Row! We're happy to have you, and appreciate your question. Speaking for the producers of TMBG, I will say that the course was created to take you from introduction to the instrument through advanced intermediate play. We claim it's "the most comprehensive, effective, and entertaining program of self-paced bass instruction on the planet" and back that claim with a 90-day money-back guarantee. We've NEVER had a return due to customer disatisfaction with the instruction. So, my completely biased suggestion would be that you buy the course and go through three or four lessons. If you feel, at that time, you'd be learning more from private lessons, return the set for a refund! I'll stand aside, now, and let others weigh in with their opinions.
Whatever you decide, I wish you the best in your learning adventure!
Ed.

Elmeaux
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Welcome aboard. Buy the course.

For me, it's all about developing discipline and structure to my playing. I want to know the "rules,"as opposed to simply thumping and plucking away. Thunder simply thrown is fine...but thunder AIMED is much more impressive. And it commands attention.

I want to be able to say, "I'm the bass player," instead of, "I'm the one playing the bass." I think there is a difference.

I believe it will be years and years before I could ever say, "I'm a musician," but that's why Roy is such an inspiration. He is a bass player, but he is also very much a musician. He knows this stuff inside out and has such a natural feel for it that just watching him demonstrate the lessons is worth a nod of respect.

And if or when you have a moment of doubt, just keep your eye on the prize. Roy and TMBG will help to bring you within reach of it.

....and then of course...there's Ralph. :p

Greg Jewell
09-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Basszman:

Welcome to TR. Hope you plan to stay a while.
Do yourself a favor and purchase TMBG. Call it an early Christmas present.
You will have the opportunity to learn at your own pace, with plenty of friendly, capable support.
This is not a race, nor is it a competition. It's simply a path toward your dream of becoming a competent bass player.
If this is what you seek, you have arrived. Now get on with it and start practicing.

Greg

jthomas353
09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Bassman,

As everyone has already said, buy the TMBG course. It definitely is money well spent. You won't regret it.

John

SilverFlame46
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey Basszman, welcome to Thunder Row. Well, I could write additional comments about why you should purchase the TMBG Course but I only would be repeating what has already been said. So, the ONLY thing I WILL repeat is PURCHASE THE TMBG COURSE. You WILL NOT be sorry, it is well worth the money!!!

TobiasMan
09-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I have been playing the bass for a long time and find myself learning stuff and correcting old, bad habits all the time, but Roy starts at the very beginning and takes you through a very logical learning progression. As said, it isn't a race, work on lesson one till you're comfortable. Get the workbook along with the DVDs as it lets you see and read when you practice, often along with the loops available on the DVD series.

When you're ready for the next lesson, wade in. You'll be fine and you will find that TMBG will be one of your very best investments. :D

c-note
09-10-2010, 03:00 AM
i will second & third all that OH YEAH!!! buy the course & enjoy

Patrick
09-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Basszman,

if you're looking for a more bias-free (independent) review on TMBG (and some other courses) you can go to Online Lessons Review (http://www.onlinelessonreviews.com/) they have TMBG rated as their "Editor Choice" with the maximum 5.0.

There are also some other lessons there (cheaper but maybe not as good).

numbers 2,3 and 4 all get a 4.0 score (one is a former student of Roy and Alex Sampson should also be a very gifted bass player.)

But whatever you do, do not make the same mistake as I did (If only I knew about that review site a month earlier).

Guitar and Bass (Australian Company) is almost impossible to reach, according to onlinelessonsreview they still ship the CD/DVD version but I tried the download one and after 3 weeks I still had no access to their members section (they told me they were working on fixing it) but I finally asked (and got) a refund.

MusicMasterPRO : I have only 1 word for this : SCAM ! :mad: They promise 5000+ lessons (video and whatever) for Bass, electric guitar and drums but the bass section only has 5 extremely short video lessons and the promised monthly added lesson material also never happens. The site's member section is also filled with ad banners.

There is also a lesson (membership) by someone called JP Dias. Now I personally didn't try this one BUT the people from onlinelessonsreview told me they recently had a customer who was "not happy" with the content so I guess that's not a good course ether.

So to end,
From what I've seen from TMBG (only using it myself for a week orso) it looks pretty promising I think this will be the best option to choose.

The only downside that this might have (IMHO) is that Roy does not cover the absolute basics (like howto hold the bass. This is covered in most, if not all, other Bass books) but that might only be an issue for someone who is really starting out.

I have no private tutor I can go to so I cannot compare one with Roy but he seems to be doing it pretty good.

JeffB
09-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Patrick, that site is anything but unbiased, they are a paid affiliate marketing and selling products they rate, that right there tells you its not true. Also, I have that second course they rate and let me tell you, it is a waste of money. I am a huge fan of their guitar course but that Bass course was a massive letdown. If you want real opinions on courses you need to goto the source forums and ask real users.

I agree TMBG is at the top of the list.
Ive actually started taking lessons and put TMBG on the backburner for now but I will be picking it up again soon. I needed to correct some bad habits I taught myself.

TLDTR
09-11-2010, 01:52 PM
FYI folks, if any of you are familiar with Affiliate Marketing, it's the sales process that fuels Amazon, eBay, and most other successful sites. The way it works is simple: the would-be affiliate (also called a "Publisher") establishes a reputation in a particular niche - usually via a blog, with product reviews or establishing a website with valid, up-to-date, and useful information, as in the case of onlinelessonreviews.com or forbassplayersonly.com (both of which have reviewed Teach Me Bass Guitar). Reputable affiliates search out the best products in their niche and provide links to those products on their web/blog sites. Each time a visitor clicks on the link and a sale results, the affiliate gets a percentage - usually anywhere from 10 - 30%. This does not constitute a rip-off in any sense of the word. The visitor is referred to a product that the affiliate has prescreened, the affiliate earns a commission, and the manufacturer of the product gets a sale. That's the way it works at The Learning Dock and thousands of other web-based stores. That said, abuse of the process is rampant, so it's always a good idea to type the name of the affiliate and/or service/product provider into the browser window and see what comments come up. Also, is the affiliate or product a member in good standing of the Better Business Bureau? (Call the BBB, and they'll tell you. We're proud to say TLD has an A rating.) TLD selects its affiliates very carefully. One of our own TR members, Stanton, is an affiliate. Each must have a reputation for excellence, integrity, and professionalism. If you'd like to know more about how TLD's Affiliate Program works, click the "Affiliate" link at the bottom of the page, or on the Teach Me Bass Guitar website (www.teachmebassguitar.com (http://www.teachmebassguitar.com)).
Thanks!
Ed.

Patrick
09-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Patrick, that site is anything but unbiased, they are a paid affiliate marketing and selling products they rate, that right there tells you its not true. Also, I have that second course they rate and let me tell you, it is a waste of money. I am a huge fan of their guitar course but that Bass course was a massive letdown. If you want real opinions on courses you need to goto the source forums and ask real users.

I agree TMBG is at the top of the list.
Ive actually started taking lessons and put TMBG on the backburner for now but I will be picking it up again soon. I needed to correct some bad habits I taught myself.

Thanks Jeff I didn't know that.

All I know is that what they claim about MusicMasterPRO and Guitar and Bass is true since I have the same experience. MusicMasterPRO provides no valuable stuff (as they say on Onlinelessonsreview) and Guitar and Bass is almost unreachable just like they say on the site.

From what I'm told (by others) is that Alex Sampson also has a good Bass course.
So for me this was "proof" that this site was pretty legit (now if they actually advised to get MusicMasterPRO then I would feel different offcource).

Anyway, Thanks again for clearing that up !

Oh, and THIS is what they are saying about themselves so they at least to claim to be unbiased :

Disclosure Notice:

When researching what are the best online lessons to buy, you'll very likely come across many "fake" review sites. These website's reviews are often inaccurate and intentionally misleading. They also promote very poor music courses and products (i.e. Guitar Hotshot or Piano Coach Pro). They do this because of the advertising revenue they receive by promoting basically "anything and everything".

This is obviously not the way we work at OnlineLessonReviews.com. While we do receive compensation for customers we refer to some products we review, the integrity of our reviews is always first and foremost in our minds. We are always seeking to gain our visitor's trust by writing honest, unbiased, and accurate reviews of every product we look at. Oh, and we should probably mention that we are not owned by any of the companies whose products we review, nor do we have a personal interest in any of the products we review.

Patrick
09-11-2010, 02:51 PM
FYI folks, if any of you are familiar with Affiliate Marketing, it's the sales process that fuels Amazon, eBay, and most other successful sites. The way it works is simple: the would-be affiliate (also called a "Publisher") establishes a reputation in a particular niche - usually via a blog, with product reviews or establishing a website with valid, up-to-date, and useful information, as in the case of onlinelessonreviews.com or forbassplayersonly.com (both of which have reviewed Teach Me Bass Guitar). Reputable affiliates search out the best products in their niche and provide links to those products on their web/blog sites. Each time a visitor clicks on the link and a sale results, the affiliate gets a percentage - usually anywhere from 10 - 30%. This does not constitute a rip-off in any sense of the word. The visitor is referred to a product that the affiliate has prescreened, the affiliate earns a commission, and the manufacturer of the product gets a sale. That's the way it works at The Learning Dock and thousands of other web-based stores. That said, abuse of the process is rampant, so it's always a good idea to type the name of the affiliate and/or service/product provider into the browser window and see what comments come up. Also, is the affiliate or product a member in good standing of the Better Business Bureau? (Call the BBB, and they'll tell you. We're proud to say TLD has an A rating.) TLD selects its affiliates very carefully. One of our own TR members, Stanton, is an affiliate. Each must have a reputation for excellence, integrity, and professionalism. If you'd like to know more about how TLD's Affiliate Program works, click the "Affiliate" link at the bottom of the page, or on the Teach Me Bass Guitar website (www.teachmebassguitar.com (http://www.teachmebassguitar.com)).
Thanks!
Ed.

I think "affiliates" are also used for international resellers or are those just resellers or whatever you call it ?

Oh, talking about international sales, just out ofcuriosity : are you planning on getting international resellers ? since I guess for some people in certain countries it can make a fair difference in postal (S&H) and import taxes.

Greg Jewell
09-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Basszman:

Re: Patrick's comments.

You can go to You-Tube or buy a text book where some guy you've never heard of says..."This is a bass guitar, and make sure you strap it on with the strings on the outside, this time.

Patrick's also spot-on re. private lessons. You can spend good money playing bassist see - bassist do, but are you really learning anything specific about your instrument or music theory? You can go home and practice the bass line to "Lady Madona", but did you learn about the key in which it's written...the chords that support the notes you play...or the scales behind the chords? Not likely. It's all about the kind of bass player you want to be. You can know your stuff, or mimic someone else. Life's full of choices.

Just a thought,

Gereg

Patrick
09-12-2010, 05:02 AM
You can spend good money playing bassist see - bassist do, but are you really learning anything specific about your instrument or music theory? You can go home and practice the bass line to "Lady Madona", but did you learn about the key in which it's written...the chords that support the notes you play...or the scales behind the chords? Not likely. It's all about the kind of bass player you want to be. You can know your stuff, or mimic someone else. Life's full of choices.

Just a thought,

Gereg

Yes it all depends.
If you just want to be able to play the bassline of Zombie by the Cranberries all you need to do is going to a site like Ultimate Guitar, get the TAB and start playing it. And if you don't aspire to become a more allround bass player (you just play at home or in a small band that only plays covers) this can be enough to relax and play some at your home.

But if you want some more you might want to do more then just learn how to read and play TABs. I'm personally not planning on becomming a big professional player but I would like to know what I'm doing. I've used TABs in the past (since the Guitar player who learned me some basics used them) but now I'm trying to learn it without them.
TMBG is kinda good for that (at least as far as I know since I'm only at Chapter 2) because there are no TAB's on the DVD and with the scales Roy makes clear what note you are playing so if you know the notes on the fretboard and know the notes on the music-bar it's easier to play songs where no TABS are available for.

Elmeaux
09-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I spent all afternoon yesterday reciting the notes on my fretboard. Playing up and back in different combos of frets, reciting in both sharps and flats.

It was kind of a lousy day for me yesterday, what with the 9/11 stuff all over the place, and I had no motivation to play tunes or practice on my California Groove song.

This was a great way to keep limber for the day and make sure I'm learning what I should be learning.

I really understand how this course could take two years or so to complete. It's a lot more complex than it appears on the surface.

c-note
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I've got time

Greg Jewell
09-12-2010, 01:01 PM
To Elmeaux's point...

I really want to move beyond Chapter 4, but I'm stalled here...plateau'd. Learning is slow, as is progress. But moving on without reasonable command of notation and fretboard geography is unthinkable...a way of repeating past failures. Something about having a good foundation upon which to build. I try to picture fretboard notes in my head, and Victor Wooten's fretboard trainer helps link notation with location. Soon...Chapter 5, but not yet.

Greg

Elmeaux
09-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I hear a song in my head...wait a minute...Doobie Brothers...

Well, I ain't got no worries, 'cause I ain't in no hurry, at aaaalllll...

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

jthomas353
09-12-2010, 03:30 PM
To Elmeaux's point...

plateau'd. Learning is slow, as is progress. But moving on without reasonable command of notation and fretboard geography is unthinkable...a way of repeating past failures.

Greg

Greg,

I'm kind of in the same boat but look at it as a kind of "forced stall". I have made it a goal to learn to read notation and spending most of my practice time on it. It's coming along but definitely takes focus.

John

Elmeaux
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Greg,

I'm kind of in the same boat but look at it as a kind of "forced stall". I have made it a goal to learn to read notation and spending most of my practice time on it. It's coming along but definitely takes focus.

John

That's pretty much how I feel. I can't read notation either, and it makes me feel guilty. Like maybe I'm not putting my whole heart into it.

Now that my band has dumped me, maybe I'll have more time to try.

And before you have to ask, they turned me out in favour of a guy who showed up with about $3000.00 worth of better equipment. Never picked up a bass before in his life, but his rig looks really cool. So...$3000.00 guy in....$500.00 dollar me...out.

SilverFlame46
09-12-2010, 04:24 PM
So...$3000.00 guy in....$500.00 dollar me...out.

Their loss and I bet they will come crawling back!!!

jthomas353
09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Their loss and I bet they will come crawling back!!!

So, a new bass player with pretty equipment that can't play. Seems to me this band won't be going anywhere anytime soon except practice sessions.

John

Elmeaux
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I got the hint when I showed up to play and this other guy was all unpacked and ready to go.

I was passed a set of drumsticks, with the comment, "Maybe you could clack these together while so-and-so plays."

I haven't been invited back since. :(

Russell K Shores
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
hi , this program is made for all levels of players ,the key here is to take your time and really learn the stuff before you move on . remember you move at your on pace , have fun with it and soon we will see you on stage .

Greg Jewell
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
HEY ELMEAUX !!!

In the immortal words of BA Baracas (The A-Team): "I pitty the fool"...that went for glitz over soul.

Something better this way comes.....

Greg

Basszman
09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Now that's what I call input! Thanks for all your responses. I am purchasing TMBG so I can hang around here with you all to continue on my fledgeling bass playing journey. I am excited to get started on the course and expect to get stuck, but that is how you grow and find new inspiration/direction. Plus that is what this forum is about anyway; helping each other & sharing.... camaraderie. You are an interesting bunch! Thanks for welcoming me aboard.

c-note
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
great remarks everyone that's why I'm glad I stumbled upon this course my progress is coming along slow but sho' @ elmeaux their lost pretty soon we'll all be jamming:cool:

SilverFlame46
09-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I am purchasing TMBG ...

Basszman, you will NOT be sorry. Keep us posted on your progress. We are ALL here to help each other!!!

Patrick
09-13-2010, 08:36 AM
We are ALL here to help each other!!!

That sounds like one of those "Self Help" groups like the AA

Hi, I'm Patrick and I'm a Bass Player ;)

c-note
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
that's exactly what it is a support group

TLDTR
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I belong to a songwriter's group (aka musical masochists international) aside from screenwriters, perhaps the most abused group on the planet. We begin each meeting with, "Hello, my name is (so-and-so). I'm a songwriter. I'm sorry. I can't help it."
Just a note, after a careful review of the promotional material for TMBG I can't find the word "Easy" anywhere. There's a reason for that...the same reason Columbus didn't advertise his voyage as "recreational cruise." Hang in there! It'll be worth it; lean on one another...and Roy as well. Meantime, I'll give you a bit of encouragement - once the hardest part - all that memorization - is behind you, things get a lot more fun! Meantime, here's a little help from Victor Wooten. Check it out: http://www.victorwooten.com/labs.html
Play on!
Ed.

SilverFlame46
09-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Meantime, here's a little help from Victor Wooten. Check it out: http://www.victorwooten.com/labs.html
Play on!
Ed.

Excellent training aid. Thanks for the heads up!!!:cool:

SilverFlame46
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
that's exactly what it is a support group

You are soooo correct c-note, and I hope EVERYONE that uses this forum feel the same way you and I do!!!

Elmeaux
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I belong to a songwriter's group (aka musical masochists international) aside from screenwriters, perhaps the most abused group on the planet. We begin each meeting with, "Hello, my name is (so-and-so). I'm a songwriter. I'm sorry. I can't help it."

Sheesh. I think I've been to one of their meetings. Weren't you the guy in the corner, sobbing?

Ralph
09-13-2010, 08:23 PM
I notice Ed seems to sob a lot when I'm around.
I can't figure that out.

IdTBassUK
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Basszman,

if you're looking for a more bias-free (independent) review on TMBG (and some other courses) you can go to Online Lessons Review (http://www.onlinelessonreviews.com/) they have TMBG rated as their "Editor Choice" with the maximum 5.0.

There are also some other lessons there (cheaper but maybe not as good).

There is also a lesson (membership) by someone called JP Dias. Now I personally didn't try this one BUT the people from onlinelessonsreview told me they recently had a customer who was "not happy" with the content so I guess that's not a good course ether.

Hi guys,
It was me - I made the mistake of getting the JP Dias stuff - well produced but absolutely NO instructional value - AVOID. TMBG is almost the opposite - the audio/video quality is as good, but TMBG actually TEACHES, EXPLAINS, DELVES and ENCOURAGES where easymusiclessons.com just shows briefly then moves on to the next thing.

As for Alex Sampson, I have his BassGuitarSecrets, Fretboard Formula and Gospel Bass 1 courses and the quality is very good, he's a good teacher and a great player, but it's a different perspective, and you can learn from one or any of them. I'm new to TMBG but 17yrs of playing bass, and lots of books, videos, DVDs, etc later I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

NB AVOID EASYMUSICLESSONS.com.

:-(