PDA

View Full Version : Blue Day

Elmeaux
09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm just a little blue today, what with the 9/11 anniversary and all. Anybody who thinks this was strictly an American thing, read on:

Two government employed friends of mine were inside the Pentagon when it was hit. I got the news via email. It took all day before I could get the information that they were both okay. It was one of the most harrowing things I have ever known...just waiting to hear if these people would be coming home to their families. I had to leave the house and go about my business all day...checking in every half hour to see if anybody had heard from them. Nobody had heard a thing after it happened. It wasn't until suppertime that I got the word.

My city has a couple of very tall buildings - one of which contains a U.S. embassy office. At the time, I worked in the building next door to it. Because nobody knew all the exact details of what had happened at the WTC, people worried that any USA related structure was at risk.

The complex where I worked was completely evacuated in a panicked rush, for fear the U.S. embassy would be attacked. An unnecesary act, all in all, but at the time, it was pretty awful. After it was over, we all had to be photographed and background-checked...just to be allowed back into the building.

Now I'm just scaring myself all over again with all the documentaries on TV.

And I'm not even IN the U.S.

It was a very far-reaching event.

If any of you all were closer to the events, I wish you all the tranquility you deserve today.

SilverFlame46
09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Elmeaux,

Thank you for your thoughts, it is very much appreciated!!!

c-note
09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
thanks elmeaux for the kind thoughts

coachkip
09-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks Elmeaux, that is why we in the US love Canadians.

I had a friend who I played baseball with who was in the World Trade Center at the time of the attack. The whole thing is very close to me. The World stopped that day and it did not really get started for a while. My little brother was playing high school football (US Football) at the time and the schools really did not know what to do. Pro Football and College Football both suspended play and so did Baseball, but High School Football decided to play. It was very moving, there was a nice ceremony before the game, both teams stood arm in arm as the national anthem played and there was a long tearful moment of silence. It was great to come together with everyone in public once again.

My brother ran for 4 touchdowns and threw for another in a great game. I was the most proud person int he stands. He is now a Marine serving as an embassy guard in Moscow Russia. I am still incredibly proud of him.

Now watching Football and reminiscing about those moments makes me feel safe knowing that we are a very strong group of people here in North America.

Thanks for your thoughts Elmeaux it was nice to relive the positives.

Greg Jewell
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Coach:

Thank you for your son's service to our country.

Greg