PDA

View Full Version : consistency in plucking

aksteve
03-23-2013, 10:20 PM
since i noticed that my attack had been very inconsistent, I have been trying to be more aware of it and noticed i was really digging into the strings. i backed off a bit and have been working on using more of the tips of my fingers and its been a bit more consistent, especially when doing 16th notes. i couldnt keep up with the way I had been plucking until i lighted it up a bit.

TobiasMan
03-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Unless you are really digging in for the tone that produces, let the amp do its job and save your fingers.

Elmeaux
03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Unless you are really digging in for the tone that produces, let the amp do its job and save your fingers.

What he said. Whereas I've had problems with gripping the neck too hard with my fretting hand, I've never had much trouble with a light touch on my plucking hand. Keeping the amp settings in good shape removes the need for a heavier touch.

Keep it up, Steve!

aksteve
03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
i have done both Elmeaux! LOL still catch myself pressing the frets a bit to hard now and then, but it has gotten better. I have tried to be more mindful about the plucking the last couple of practice sessions and it has made a huge difference! getting there slowly!

Elmeaux
03-24-2013, 05:54 PM
The best way I can think of to describe plucking is to say your movement should be as if you are wiping your fingers over the strings - like you have something on the pads and want to wipe it off onto the strings. Pulling from underneath comes when you learn the popping part of slapping & popping.

Let your fingers do the walking!

aksteve
03-24-2013, 10:19 PM
that is a great way to describe it! thanks!:D

TobiasMan
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
And that style of plucking from almost below the strings is also much more difficult to do evenly. Popping, is what it is called.