PDA

View Full Version : Speakon Cable Choices

JohnMSchiavone_Bass
04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I just picked up a DNS-112N and an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. This is my first amp/cab with Speakon connectors. Does anyone have a reccomendation for good cables? My local store stocks Conquest, and I have heard of Monster. Thanks.

Elmeaux
04-05-2013, 03:44 AM
Sorry, John. I have no experience with those. The 500 sounds like a bassist's dream, though.

Anybody else know the Speakons?

Nicki
04-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Don't buy Monster cables. They're ridiculously overpriced and no better than any other cables (well, maybe the super super cheap cables). Anyway, not worth it.

I have a Conquest cable on my Berg/GK. They're made in the US and have a really nice locking feature. I've got no complaints at all about it. That'd be where I'd spend my money, personally.

ghsky1
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I just bought a 3ft cable for my new amp and cab. I went with Mogami (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mogami-gold-speaker-cable) because of its reputation for quality and lifetime warranty. It is their "gold" line, but I got the 1/4" connectors instead of the speakOn. With a $10 coupon I paid about $35. Now I wish I had gone with the 6ft length for only $9 more.
Why didn't I get speakOn? The 1/4" plug cable retails for $53, the speakOn retails for $110 - the wire itself may be a heavier gauge there, but don't quote me on that. As far as connection quality, I have never seen anything that says speakOn is superior to 1/4". Only that speakOn will keep your equipment from inadvertently being unplugged. But I have to wonder at what cost for keeping the connection? If someone accidentally pulls a cable and the speakOn is connected, will it yank my amp head off the speaker it is sitting on ( I have a lightweight MarkBass LittleMark Tube 800 )?
As mentioned above, yes, the Monster cables are over-priced but then they are quality cables. My theory is that in the long run you will pay more for multiple re-purchases of budget cables than the initial purchase of a quality cable. Right now you can get the Monster Studio Pro 1000 6ft speaker cable with 1/4" connectors for $26.78 at the MusiciansFriend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/monster-cable-studio-pro-1000-speaker-cable-1-4) website. That is their top-of-the-line cable. The good thing about purchasing that way is no tax and it may have free shipping.

Nicki
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
This is the advantage to SpeakOns vs 1/4":

Speakon connectors are fully shielded from human touch, preventing electrical shock risks associated with high power audio amplifiers and unshielded connections. Speakon contacts do not short out upon connection or disconnection, which can happen to the 1/4-inch plug as it is being plugged in. This can be a benefit when working with sound equipment that is in operation.

ghsky1
04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
That is a reasonable explanation. I have to wonder why anyone would ever want to unplug something that is powered up. I have a habit of turning everything off first. Unplugging an amp/cab that is on means you have an amp with no load on it, which on many amps spells disaster for that amp head.
I am no expert- that is just my understanding.

TobiasMan
04-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Actually, it is primarily tube amps that must have a load on them (but it is still a good practice to turn amps off before connecting/disconnecting things to their outputs).

Most analogue/digital amps I have seen will not suffer damage if they do not have a cabinet connected. Many will run with simply a headphone connected (which is typically not the main amplifier output, but a separate source specifically designed for headphones). There are some exceptions so check your amp manual.

DaveB
04-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Nicki is correct about the 1/4" plug being subject to inadvertent shorts when plugging/unplugging the speaker cable. However, the bigger advantage to SpeakOn connectors is that they were designed to handle the high output power of amplifiers. TRS/TS (tip-ring-sleeve/tip-sleeve) type plugs, from which 1/4" plugs were derived, were originally developed by the phone company (over a hundred years ago) for use on telephone switchboards and were designed to handle signals in the mW (1/1000th watt) range. If you have ever seen the contacts of a 1/4" jack you will notice that the actual contact area between the jack and the plug is very small. SpeakOn connectors, on the other hand, have larger contact areas that are better suited to handle the high power outputs of modern amplifiers. Also, if you use SpeakOn cables exclusively to connect your cabs, you will never mistakenly use an instrument cable to connect your amp to your cab, which could be VERY BAD.

So, can you use speaker cables with 1/4" plugs to connect your amp to your cab? Sure, people have been doing it for many years. Is it the optimum solution? Not so much.

aksteve
05-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I had a bad experience recently with unplugging a powered on amp...at least i think that was the cause..blew the preamp in my Carvin MB10...needless to say, its not plugged in to a surge protector AND i power off before plugging/unplugging...expensive lesson learned!
lol

JohnMSchiavone_Bass
05-12-2013, 08:40 AM
I ended up building my own. Bought Neutrix Speakon connectors and Mogami cable from Redco and built them for 1/3 the cost.