PDA

View Full Version : intonation

bruno.stefanutti
05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Hello guys; another basic issue..about intonation. Finally, I was able to make intonation of my Fender Precision, but I'm not sure about the method...In fact I'm doing it following these steps:

1. tuning of open strings;
2. looking for the armonic @ 12th fret;
3. matching 1&2 result, with the fine tuning of the saddles playing with the allen screw (back or forward).

The question is what is the "point zero" of the saddles when I'm starting with the step 3...; in words, I need space back and forward for the fine tuning and, for this raison, I think that the middle position is the better "start point"...

Have you any suggest about it?

Thank you and best regards.
Bruno

DaveB
05-02-2013, 12:08 PM
The "starting point" is the current location of the saddle, there is no need to "center" the saddle location. After all, the intonation may already be correct. Use the following procedure:

1. Tune the string.
2. Play the note at the 12th fret.
If the note at the 12th fret is flat move the saddle slightly towards the nut.
If the note at the 12th fret is sharp move the saddle slightly away from the nut.
If the note at the 12th fret is the same (in tune) you're done.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the open string note and the 12th fret note are in tune.

Remember to retune the string after every adjustment of the saddle. Here is a link to two videos that describe how to setup your bass. The second video covers intonation.
http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?122-VIDEO-How-to-Set-Up-a-Bass-Guitar