PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a real newbie

cactoose
09-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Hello there,
Brand new to music, bass, bands, etc.

Started learning beginning of September after a friend asked me to join his band as bass player. First gigs are in December, so 10 weeks to learn 30 songs. Hope TMBG will help!

Should be a fun couple of months :)

No doubt will have about a million questions over the next few weeks.

Cheers!

Mike
09-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Welcome and good luck with your 30 songs.

coachkip
09-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Good luck on your learning the 30. There are a lot of newbies to music here (including me) so if you hang around for a while you will probably learn just the right thing to help you on your way. If not, then just ask, someone here knows the answer.

Glad to have you.

SilverFlame46
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Glad to have you aboard!!!

c-note
09-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Hello there, welcome to row I'm new too started the bass a couple years ago and had to stop because of working strange hours and not practicing but I'm back and this time I'm not quitting

jthomas353
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Hello Cactoose,

Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Best of luck to you on learning the 30 songs. Great bunch of folks here that can answer your questions and make you laugh. Enjoy.

John

stantonl
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the fun Cactoose! Great bunch of folks here that are more than happy to lend a hand when asked. Good luck to you.

TLDTR
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Welcome Cactoose! We're always happy to welcome new members to the Row. As one of the producers here at The Learning Dock, however, I just want to underscore the fact that TMBG is a comprehensive course that can take anywhere from 18 months to 3 threes to complete, depending on the amount of time you have to devote to practice. While I admire your goal of learning 30 songs by December - and TMBG can certainly teach you the principles required to learn any song in any style - it's not an overnight process, by any means. That said, I can also tell you that, upon successful completion of TMBG - however long it takes - there'll be no end to the number of songs and song styles you can master! I look forward to following your progress. Keep us posted!
Save the World
Play the Bass!
Ed.
P.S. Where/what is the gig?

cactoose
09-24-2010, 12:46 AM
P.S. Where/what is the gig?

There are two, one is a Christmas party for family and friends of the band (100+) and the second is in a little country pub in west Wales. Not massive but scary enough!

I fully appreciate that TMBG will take a while, but in the first 20 minutes I learnt at least 4 things that will make me better!

TLDTR
09-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Have somebody videotape the gig(s). We'd all love to see them!
(And send me a Longbow, will you? You can't get any decent cider in Nashville!)
Play on!
Ed.

IdTBassUK
09-25-2010, 03:46 AM
Hi from the UK too! Do u have a list of the songs? Are they covers or originals? Post a list as people might have tabs/chords/charts.
if it helps, the way I work out songs is to chart out the bars from beginning to end, then plot the sections (riff, verses, choruses, etc). t5o get a basic feel for the song you can by and large assume each part is the same each time it plays - you'll hear if it's drastically wrong) that way u only have to work out one verse one chorus etc. email me direct at davidgotteri@hotmail.com with one of the songs and I'll talk u thru it step by step, if u want.
i had 30 songs to learn in 3 months for a theatre show a few years back, so know what ure up against!!
good luck!
id