PDA

View Full Version : Big bodies

Dos Miguel
09-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Ok I need some suggestions for six string basses particularly with large bodies. Your input is appreciated!!!!

Nicki
09-10-2013, 07:19 AM
As a petite woman with teeny hands, 6 strings with big bodies are way beyond me...although I've played a 12 before, so maybe not. :p In any case, probably Ibanez are going to be the easiest 6 strings to find, but I don't consider them large bodied guitars. A Musicman Bongo 6 might fit the bill, but good luck finding one to play.

So, I'm not much help, I guess...but good luck on the hunt! Talkbass might be a good place to do a search, too. Plenty of 6 string players hanging around there.

PaulUK
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
If you are just trying 6 strings out to see if you like it, you could do a lot worse than a Shine SB26.

Inexpensive, active and got a really good review in UK Bass Guitar Magazine last year. I bought one direct from the importer (which meant I had to set it up - taught me a thing or two about twin truss rod basses).

It is certainly nice to play, though a bit neck heavy (and generally heavy - hey, it's a 6 string bass.....).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzeLUibAHU

I use a Mono Betty strap with it and that works great.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?957-Mono-Case-Betty-Strap-Review

Of course, I don't know if Shine basses are readily available in the US....

Dos Miguel
09-10-2013, 11:24 PM
What about 5 string? I've been looking at the new carvin pb5. That looks like it would be perfect.

Elmeaux
09-11-2013, 01:25 AM
I can't afford one right now, but I think my next bass will be a five-string.

brian_primrose
09-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Good morning, Dos Miguel.

I own an Ibanez 5 string, and can suggest the following based upon my experience.

With 5-6 string basses, try out the instruments you are interrested. Ok. I realise that is possibly an issue for you as it was for me. Fort Stockton is a city of <9000 people in the middle of a lot of country, so my guess is that you have not got easy access to a large music store. With a new baby, travel to San Antonio probably not on.

Neck width is an issue for many, as it is for Niki. It is because of the narrowness of the neck that I went with the Ibanez. That and the fact that it was the only affordable brand carried by the local shop in my town of 5000. If you have larger hands, as does Paul, you may find the spacing on the 5 string Ibanez tight. I am waiting to see what it is like to slap!

The sound of the B string is variable between different basses, even those of the same scale length. How the bass sounds with your amp etc may also be something to check.

Some luthiers, I have read, feel that the neck wood contributes as much or more to the sound of the bass as the body wood. With the extra mass in the 5 or 6 this may be important.

Neck through bass are reputed to have a mid range dominance that can be hard to tame. This is true for my neck through maple Ibanez. Depending for the aound your looking for it may or may not be an issue.

As Paul pointed out, balance also becomes more of an issue with increased neck mass.

So having bought my 5 sight unseen (the dealer had to order it in) I am sort of happy with the Ibanez. I love the feel of the neck and the B but the tone issues for me a chalange. As a result, the bottom line is the same as the first. given the dollar investment, try as many as you can and see what fits and suits you.

And folks like you and I can sit in envy of those who live close to a Guitar Central or a Long and Macquade.

Brian

PS judging on the time of your last posts, I hope you and family start getting some sleep.

B

TobiasMan
09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't find the necks on either my 5 or 6 string basses too wide. My Tobias 6 string does have a fairly narrow neck compared to some 6 strings I've played (since the string spacing is narrow it is difficult to slap, but I don't generally do slap so that's not a problem). My MTD 5 fretless has somewhat wider string spacing and neck width, but still not a problem. Both of these basses have Michael Tobias' asymmetric neck profiles, thin on the treble side and thicker on the bass side, which makes them very easy to play. Neither has neck dive or balance problems. Our guitarist purchased a cheap P bass knock off a while ago. It's only a 4 string, but the neck dive on it is almost uncontrollable! If you take your fingers off the neck, the headstock just about hits the floor - a real problem to play!!!!

In general, large (thick, wide) necks on basses, especially those with relatively small bodies, do tend to have balance issues in many instances.

Dos Miguel
09-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Brian- I appreciate that very much! It is a little difficult getting around to a music store when it's 150 miles in any direction to a larger city. I have been checking out Bass Mods K5 mahogany. It has a beautiful vintage look to it, but it's hard to tell quality considering reviews are about half good and half bad. Sleep has been a little deprived lately, but it has been getting better. Connor is one if those babies that has to be fed, have a new diaper, have his PJs on, be swaddled, and set in the bassinet at a perfect 45 degree angle at room temperature. Lol

Tobias- I have never actually heard of Tobias guitars before. I need to check them out. One of my friends left me his bass when he passed away and it's one if those that the headstock hits the floor. It's so awkward but I'll keep it forever.

Elmeaux- I will honestly never go back to a 4 string. That B string really helps out A LOT. It's kinda nice not having to move up and down the neck as often. :) Very good investment!