PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Riedel, Les Claypool and Franck Hermanny

Thomas Kievit
10-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Alright, I guess it's time to tell a small story of those who inspired me to become a bass player :)

It all started in 2001 when I was just 11 years old. I heard Rammstein for the first time (the song is called ''Ich Will'') and I really enjoyed the song. Kinda funny to listen heavy-metal for an 11 year old kid. A few months later, my brother bought their album (Mutter) and soon after that I was listening the whole album. I think Links 2 3 4 was my favorite song during that time.

Now I wasn't really musically interested as in becoming a musician until I was 15 years old. At first, I wanted to become a guitar player cause of the awesome guitar solos throughout their albums. Eventually, I wanted to become a bass player. Why? I bought their live DVD ''Volkerball'' which was released in 2006. A few years before that DVD, my stepfather bought me the live DVD ''Live Aus Berlin''.

I've noticed that the bass sound in ''Volkerball'' was better than in ''Live Aus Berlin''. Since then, I've been listening all kinds of music (funk, jazz, rock) and I always paid attention to the bass. So I bought my first bass guitar when I was 16 and took lessons. Unfortunatly, due to my school and my work (I was working mostly during the evening and in the weekend) I didn't had time to play the bass, which resulted it had been collecting dust for about 6 years. Yeah, it's a shame, but that's how it was :p

In 2009, I saw Rammstein for the first time in the Gelredome, Arnhem (the Netherlands) and although it was my first concert with my favorite band that time, I was SO disappointed by their concert. Their show was just... empty. No energy, nothing. Rammstein is best known on stage for all their pyro-technics and dress ups and stuff.. But it just didn't catch me at all. They just played and played and played, some flamethrowers here and there but that was it. No contact with the audience, no room for improvisation so when I went back home, I was convinced I would never listen to Rammstein anymore... And I did.. (or didn't, just how you would like to describe it, haha).

I discovered Les Claypool (Primus) and Franck Hermanny (Adagio) in mid 2010. I really liked their music and of course their versatility as an bass player. So I ordered TMBG about 3 months ago or so and I'm happy I picked up the bass guitar again after all those years. Although I'm only at lesson 5 so far (don't wanna go too fast with this) I'm convinced I will play the bass better than with those lessons I've had 6 years ago.. Taking it as easy as possible and relooping what I can if I don't understand something. Something you can't when you've got lessons :p

Well that was about it, who had influenced me to become a bass player. hope you like my story!!

Cheers,

Thomas.

Elmeaux
10-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Great story, Thomas. Love Claypool!

Any of our other newer members are invited to post their thoughts here, too!

Thomas Kievit
10-06-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks for reading ;)

Nicki
10-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm a big Rammstein fan, too! Saw them last year in Worcester, Massachusetts (USA)...same town they were arrested in years ago. I loved the show, but you're right they don't react much to the audience.

My personal favorite bassist...Paul Simonon from The Clash. I know nobody would consider him a technically proficient player, but his bass lines really speak to me.

Thomas Kievit
10-11-2013, 06:17 AM
That is THE most importnant thing, Nicki : Somebody inspires your of his / her bass lines, not how he / she plays them ;)