PDA

View Full Version : I am new here

Ditto
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Hello, I saw this program on "For Bass Players Only" on Facebook. I checked it out and went ahead and purchased it.
My Name is Daniel T O'Rourke III (hence the username DITTO) Ditto has been a nickname of mine ever since Jr. High School. I started playing Bass in 1984. I never was serious about it as I got married and had a couple kids and had my own business to run. So I played as a form of relaxation. I learned by reading TABS. I have taken lessons a couple times, but that really gets pricey! $1200.00 a year here is Sacramento California.

The local music store here does a Weekend Warrior program and I signed up last year. They set you up in a band and have coaches for you. I really enjoyed it, playing on a big stage in front of a crowd was a great feeling. I am older now and my life has slowed a little, I have decided to learn all the theory and really improve my playing. I had a few books but thought this program looked like a great at my own pace plan to learn all that theory stuff.

I also hope this will help me with my ear and learning new songs.

Well, Thanks
Dan

JeffB
09-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the swamp! :p

Elmeaux
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Welcome, Ditto!!! You're gonna love the course. I have a whole weekend in front of me, and I plan to spend every minute of it in my lessons.

Join in, post pictures of your instruments/gear, and have a great time.

Mike
09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Welcome Ditto!!

jthomas353
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Hello Ditto.

Welcome to the Row. That Weekend Warrior thing sounds like it was a lot of fun.

John

SilverFlame46
10-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Hey Ditto, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Glad to have you aboard and I know you are going to enjoy the course. Roy is a great teacher and makes learning fun!!!

IdTBassUK
10-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi from the UK, too.
The pace seems to be picking up here now...

From what I've watched the fact that the course is spread over 20 (roughly 40minute) lessons means Roy takes the time to show you things properly, not just whizz thru them. As a player of 17yrs I've already learnt or corrected new things in a matter of weeks.

Enjoy.
Id :cool:

PS Id is a nickname I got cos I hate being called Dave, so when ever anyone calls me Dave they get an angry "Id!" in response!!!

Ditto
10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Yea, I willpost more on Weekend Warrios later, I actually have video also, was a fun 5 songs.

So I did lesson one yesterday............I thought it was going to be easy and I would blast through, but I learned some things and now have to unlearn years of bad right hand positioning..........Starting from scratch :)

TobyBass55
10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
It would be really cool to hear more about the Weekend Warrior stuff!

I also am trying to focus on the right hand technique. I really want to get the knack of the "Floating Thumb" muting.

Also when my son was little, he took classical guitar lessons and I learned that along with him. So at first I tended to appraoch my bass as if it were a really big classical guitar, which doesn't do so badly on the fretting hand. But on classical guitar you pluck the strings with fingernails, and on the bass I have to cut my fingernails really short to avoid them hitting the strings. But still I find myself using the side of my fingers to pluck the strings more like classical guitar instead of making my fingers perpendicular to the strings on the bass.

SilverFlame46
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Yea, I willpost more on Weekend Warrios later, I actually have video also, was a fun 5 songs.

So I did lesson one yesterday............I thought it was going to be easy and I would blast through, but I learned some things and now have to unlearn years of bad right hand positioning..........Starting from scratch :)

Would love to see the video!!!:cool:

TobyBass55
10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, it would be really cool to see the videos.

stantonl
10-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Hello Ditto! Glad to have you with us, also glad to hear that Skip's is still doing the Weekend Warrior thing. I lived in Sacramento for many years but never got around to signing up for the weekend warrior thing. Bought my first "Real" Bass at Skip's back in the 80's, MIJ Squire P-Bass, still have it!!

Greg Jewell
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Ditto:

Welcome to TR...this program will be everything you expect, and more, once you get to know the cast of characters that frequent these pages. Congratulations on your purchase. I'm down here in the Huntington Beach area so turn it up. We can't hear you. BTW...please cruise over to the state capital building and get things straightened out. What a mess we are.

Greg

Ralph
10-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, now that you've heard from the riff-raff, I thought I'd give you a PROPER introduction from the guy who's really the heart and soul of this outfit...and without whom...uh-oh! Here comes Ashley...Doesn't that wench EVER go home!
More later.
R

Elmeaux
10-02-2010, 02:27 AM
uh-oh! Here comes Ashley...Doesn't that wench EVER go home!

Not until the dishes are done....whoops...

Sorry Ashley...

Ow ow ow!! Hey!! No reason for violence here!! It was a joke!!

:::running:::

OW Ow ow ow ow ow ow

c-note
10-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the row