PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Warriors

Ditto
10-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok,
The big local music store has two programs that run every year. One is the "Stairway to Stardom" and is for teenagers. They end up with around 10 bands all playing for the chance to record the three original songs that they have to write, arrange and play during the 4 month course that also gives college credit.

The other one is for "old" farts to get together and make some noise. It all starts with an open jam session on a Saturday afternoon. This includes the sign up sheet. It is very cool and everyone is freindly. Like I told you in my intor post, I never really played much with other musicians, a little in the 80's, I had a mullet also, but never really pursued it. I was really nervous but was taking lessons from a really great and working bassist Named Jimmy O'Shea. He had told me that I was actually good enough to do this gig and I would "KILL", so I went. I put my name on the board! that was a big step. There must of been about 60 people milling around and I did not know any of them. Then the first group started and they opened up with "Sweet Emotion" I think that song is one of the manditory bass riffs when you got a BASS! Am I right? Anyway the guy did not know the song and I felt my confidence growing, is that bad that I felt better when I heard this guy mess up the song?

So they called my name and got a singer, guitar and drummer and a keyboard guy. Told us to pick a few songs and we would be next. OK, I was nervous again..... They picked Proud Mary to open with and then Mustang Sally, I can't remember that last song but it was another easy one. Jimmy had showed up and told me I would KILL it. I was really excited as I layed down the grove with the drummer and was totally focused on his right foot. I made all the changes and even added a few fills. He complimented me after we were done and that made me feel good.

So I signed up and payed the $100.00 fee. A week later they called me and told me I was in a band. Well, it went good for 2 weeks. We had a female singer that lived about 60 miles away and never made the Saturday practices at my house. So my daughter who was also taking lessons at Skip's music (VOCAL) sat in and did her parts for us. Sunday night after the 2 week I got a call telling me that our singer had quit! But the coach siad he had heard tha tmy daughter was filling in and would she want the gig? It was either that or we were out. My daughter at first jumped at the chance to play, then thought about it and I guess she has my nervousness and wanted to back out. But she did it.

We did five songs. We opened with Johnny B Good- Everybody Wants you- Black Velvet- Twilight Zone- Dream on. My wife who was in a band in the 80's called Last Generation here in Sacramento did Black Velvet and Dream on to take some of the pressure off my 15 year old daoughter. So here is the video of Twilight Zone by Golden Earring. We had 4 weeks to put it together and my doughter really only 2.

Thanks for letting me share

Ditto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfEX0WRS7o

My son was running the camera.........sorry

jthomas353
10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
DITTO,

Thanks for sharing the story and the video. You guys did great and your daughter definitely has guts to be able to get up and sing in front of a crowd. I don't think I could ever do that.

John

line6bassman
10-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Like I say around here!!! Come on all you Bass Braves!!! Put then up, Put them up!!! Nothing like a ThunderRow Bass Brave!!!

Congrats!!! DITTO & DITTO TO DITTO!!! You just made the Thunder Row Line6bassman's Bass Brave Club for being a Bass Brave by putting your video up, and your daughter gets in too, but I forget what they call a girl Brave? Also I didn't even know I had a CLUB! WELL, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!

As my favorite group says ( The Who ) WHO'S NEXT??

LINE6BASSMAN

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread.php?396-I-Never-Even-Knew-My-Computer-Was-Religious/page2

TobyBass55
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah, you all did great! It's neat they have something like that in your area to do.
Thanks for showing the video.

Elmeaux
10-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Yeah, you all did great! It's neat they have something like that in your area to do.
Thanks for showing the video.

Got to love it!!!

:::applause:::

SilverFlame46
10-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Congratulations to the Ditto Family. Great job and tell your daughter she made us proud!!!

slejhamer
10-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Awesome cool; great job!

c-note
10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
that was cool ditto

JazzBassBob
01-16-2020, 06:10 AM
That was a good story and awesome that your daughter went up even being nervous