PDA

View Full Version : Sad news: Jack Bruce passes away...

line6bassman
10-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/25/showbiz/cream-jack-bruce-bass/

(CNN) -- Jack Bruce, singer, songwriter and bassist for legendary 1960s rock band Cream, died Saturday at 71.
Bruce's family confirmed the death of the Scottish musician on his official website and Facebook page.
"The world of music will be a poorer place without him, but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts."

Considered one of the greatest rock trios of all time, Cream was formed by Bruce, guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker in 1966. The band produced such hits as "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room," "Crossroads" and "Strange Brew," many of which
Bruce wrote and sang. He also helped come up with the memorable guitar riff in "Sunshine of Your Love."
The band members' infighting and drug use became almost as well-known as their musical talent, and the group parted ways in 1968.
"Jack felt that he had strayed too far from his ideals and wanted to rediscover his musical and social roots," according to his official biography.
Born to musical parents in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1943, Bruce played in various dance bands and jazz groups before joining the Graham Bond Organization in 1962, where he met drummer Ginger Baker. He later joined John Mayall's Blues Breakers and met guitarist Eric Clapton, leading to the formation of Cream.
After group broke up, Bruce went on to record solo albums and front bands. He released more than a dozen solo LPs over the next four decades, including his latest, "Silver Rails," in March. Cream reunited briefly in 1993 for the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Read the rest at link above. RIP JACK

Elmeaux
10-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks for everything, Jack! Your contributions to music helped to shape my youth!

Bassic Bill
10-25-2014, 07:25 PM
R.I.P., Jack.

5Slinger
10-26-2014, 09:00 AM
R.I.P., Jack.
R.I.P. Jack

One of the all time greats!

BillG
10-26-2014, 02:58 PM
A good life..doing what he loved. It doesn't get much better than that.

Jack was my all time bass hero. He brought bass to the forefront in a way no one before him had. It has been said he single handedly got more folks interested in bass than anyone before or after him. Still have the 67 Gibson EB0 I was just starting to play at that time. It often reminds me of a night, long ago, In New Haven Arena when some friends and I saw Cream in concert. It truly was magical.

Tip O the hat to ya Jack

TobiasMan
10-30-2014, 01:54 PM
One of the true greats. Major influence on my bass appreciation.

RIP Jack :(

DONNIE B
10-30-2014, 02:16 PM
one of rocks best rock bands and great pioneers of rock & roll .and jack was a big part of that with his great bass riffs and sung writing. now he is with other greats in HEAVENS ROCK & ROLL SHOW.WE will here him every time the thunder rolls. long live your music and rest in peace Jack

line6bassman
10-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Jack Bruce - The Man Behind the Bass

Don't know how many have seen this? But this is one of the best Documentary I've seen on Jack! It's actually a pleasure to watch!! Only pleasure it is not is that he is no longer here.:( Enjoy the video.

Line6bassmanTR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KBEq95N5U

Elmeaux
10-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Good find, L6B.

kimgee
10-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the great link L6b!!!

TobiasMan
10-26-2015, 02:50 PM
My very, absolute favourite bass player! That is a most insightful documentary.

Thanks for finding and posting that L6B.