PDA

View Full Version : brand new player

d.mac
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I thought it may be amusing to chronicle my bass playing as I work my way through the entire course.
Brand new to music & gottastartsomewhere..........................

captain's log- bass-date: week four....
still stuck at the first traffic light in the "teach me bass" book: at the first "what you've learned"

Dang I must B slow... four+ weeks in and I'm still in the "keep practicing until you can find any given note with out thinking" I practice my ass-off but like the slow dripping of water wears away a stone... my progress is glacial.
The lure of the coming pages draws me like a siren song... pulling at me... taunting me... But I tied myself to the mast, determined to follow the recipe at least until I learn to cook on my own... This is what I am telling myself as I still have not even started the fire... just rubbing them darn sticks together... ok enough for now, I'm back to practice land.
peace/out my brothas and sistas.

Elmeaux
11-27-2010, 02:16 PM
LOL....oh, hi, D Mac.

Welcome.

jthomas353
11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi d mac,

Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Keep at it and don't falter. You'll eventually get it and things will move along after that.

Play long and prosper.

John

SilverFlame46
11-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey d.mac, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Good luck with the course!!!

c-note
11-27-2010, 09:56 PM
As with any good dish you'll eventually perfect it or at least be able to stomach it (smile) enjoy I do

Greg Jewell
11-27-2010, 11:27 PM
d.mac:

This isn't a race, nor is it about instant gratification. It's a process. And it only makes sense that if you want to become a competent bass player (read, live up to your personal expectations), you're going to learn notation and fingerboard geography. Otherwise, what's the sense? When you're on lesson 6, and can't locate an F, or the right F, it's still back to lesson 4, and scales, and notation, and fingerboard management.

Do notation flash card drills ( http://www.theviolincase.com/bass/flashcards/index.shtml ) until you've got them wired. Use Victor Wooten's ( http://www.victorwooten.com/labs.html ) fingerboard exercises until you score 25 out of 25 four times in a row. Memorize the fingerboard on page 1 of Chapter 4, and recite the chromatic tones in your head from frets one through twelve and back again (beats couning sheep when you can't sleep). Do what ever it takes... And only then...turn the page to the next lesson...and feel good about it.

Greg

TLDTR
11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Good advice, Greg. I know a lot of folks succumb to the temptation to plow ahead before they've mastered the skills Roy presents in the previous Lesson. This can lead to frustration! (I speak from experience...) Whereas if you're patient with yourself and, like Ashley says, really get the knowledge and skill "under your fingers," before moving on you'll be much better equipped for the next lesson and much happier as a result!
Ed.