+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strings

Default Strings

Steel or nylon? Flatwound or roundwound? What do you like? What's your brand?

Lane on Bass Guest

I prefer roundwound, and I use DR Strings Black Beauties on most basses. I use their Rare strings for my acoustic bass guitar. I also use their Zebras on my acoustic/electric guitar.

I have used DR Strings for about 15 years, and have endorsed them for about five.

I have yet to try a set of flats. With all your experience what would you suggest as a good brand to try so I will know if I like them. All I have used are D' Addario XL's (that brand came stock on the bass I play).

Lane on Bass Guest

I wish I could offer some thoughts, but I don't use flats. I have several friends who use the Thomastik flats, and they like them a lot. IIRC, they're pretty expensive, though...

When I use flats, I choose D'Addario Chromes - Medium. Not too costly. Mine were about $40.00 for the set. They feel really nicely polished and help to reduce/eliminate that zzzzip-zzip sound during changes.

I just put a set of Rotosound flats on my Pbass, they are really smooth and easy on the fingers. I like the sound as well but Im still a noob so my opinion may not mean anything. They feel more elliptical then flat to me.

All in all a good choice from the rounds I had on before (those were probably years old)

I put some GHS "Pressurewound" strings on my main bass this week. 44-106 gauge set. Got them on ebay as they can be tough to find. They are nickel rounds that are slightly flattened and very smooth. A little more mellow than regular round wounds, but PERFECT for my bass and our band. String-to-string tonal balance is very good, and they have a nice mid-range punch (I actually had to dial back the upper mids on my amp a little bit.) I don't like a twangy G-string, so was pleased to hear that this one is rich and full sounding. Nice strings!
    "Everybody got to elevate from the norm!"

Sparkly Blue Sterling by MusicMan with TI Jazz Flats
    30" Shell Pink Jaz-O-Lounger with Rotosound Tapewounds
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 Head
    Gallien Krueger 112 Neo II Cab

Though there are generally accepted standards as to good and bad strings, in the end, I think it all comes down to which ones you like, and which ones like you.

Kumbayaaaa, my axxxx, Kumbayaaaaaaaa

DR roundwounds on my Tobias for years now. Been using DR Blackbeauties on it since they came out.

Tried all kinds of roundwounds and wasn't happy with anything until I put Fender flatwounds on my Fender P (many years ago, now they are old OLD flatwounds ). Just great for that country thud and simliar stuff.

MTD roundwounds on my 535 fretless. Sweeeet

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    Been using DR Blackbeauties on it since they came out.
    LOVE those Black Beauties!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

+ Reply to Thread