Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting The Band!! Whatca Think??

I do that sometimes - adding flowery fills. I just discipline myself by saying, "Play it the way the people in the audience know it."

Roy said something about this some time back. He said when he's playing for someone who does cover songs, he has to play it straight up like it should be played - save the fun fills for when he's playing his own stuff.

Think of the audience and what they will be expecting.

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post

Roy said something about this some time back. He said when he's playing for someone who does cover songs, he has to play it straight up like it should be played - save the fun fills for when he's playing his own stuff.

Think of the audience and what they will be expecting.

Yea, I think I'm just in the excited mode at the moment and have to start remembering that I'm finally going to be playing for the entertainment factor instead of what I'm used
    to playing which is in my church which is ministry bass playing. So I'm off for a week and should have time to work on it. Also there's a live version of the song where I can put my own Idea's where the bass player on original song adds something different. So off to making some thunder!!!

Line6bassman

PS Feels good to give my Red Fender AMS Jazz some loving this week!!
    Last edited by line6bassman; 08-23-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

3. Default

I agree. Sometimes the role of the bass player is to just play the line. Sit in the pocket and keep the song flowing. Just because you don't standout in this song doesn't mean you won't standout in the next.

Good luck!!
    Fender Standard Precision | Ibanez GSR200 | Acoustic B450 amp

Basically I agree with Roy, you do what is right for the song and the situation.

BUT, I have never heard a group do a song live the same way they record it. And sometimes I have said, if we played it like that they would push us off the stage.

I think you can as a bass player usually add or subtract a little here or there as long as it is not a "signature" line and it keeps very closely with the groove and spirit, but at the same time not getting in the way, or show off.

If we play it note for note like robots, and that includes the entire band, they don't need us, they need DJ's.

So the trick in my mind, is keep the essence of the song, nail the signature licks, nail the groove, and keep the differences subtle. Give it the "live" energy and feeling.

It's a balancing act.
    Ray
    Bass4Gsus
    View my pictures at www.pbase.com/rjkpics

way to go line6bassman i think it is so cool you are playing in a band. rock on . i think that you should play it straight for now. but after the band has been together for a wile . yual should all agree to try small changes .that would make the song your own.be careful of those video.;s that is how stars are born. lol.i are you going to play a mix of old and new ? HAVE FUN REALLY COOL.
    Let's Play Bass!

[QUOanyTE=line6bassman;4705]oh that hurtSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTEs any how about groovin
    Last edited by DONNIE B; 08-24-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Let's Play Bass!

Quote Originally Posted by line6bassman View Post
    Hey, thought about OLD & BLUE, but why do I at my age (56) feel like I might drop dead with that name?? Then again we have to get it together yet, Wow!! Now I got one!! How bout since I'm the oldest and the rest of the members are in there 20's and since they'll keep me energetic, how bout STILL ALIVE!! Or just ALIVE!!! Hey!! That's a Thought???
    OK, I have to go look up something for the guitar player and the group SULTAN OF SWING, Swing, that something old and old????

line6bassman
    How about something like "Elder Bass and the Blues Boys" or "Elder and the Blues Rockers"?

Can't wait to hear/see the video(s) of your upcoming gigs!
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    How about something like "Elder Bass and the Blues Boys" or "Elder and the Blues Rockers"?
    Hey I like that!! But I have one question, do you mean this Elder needs Blue Rockers??
    ( Chairs ) LOL!! Because this is funny, I can't really play this song sitting down and if
    I'm standing up I need to move and sway to the beat to play it coolly, then my knees start to hurt and my wife starts laughing saying you're to old for this. But I'll show her
    wait till Saturday!! Weird I do play with my other group once a week and don't have this
    problem. The younger ones keep me going!!

Line6bassman

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIE B View Post
    how about groovin like the ol Marivn Gay song
    Other songs for now are Bob Dylan stuff!!

Line6bassman