+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Player: Looking for Recommended Transcription Software.

1. Default Bass Player: Looking for Recommended Transcription Software.

Hi, Folks,

I'm trying to learn bass lines from specific tunes. I find that sometimes the playing is so fast or the record mix is so "muddy" that I have difficulty picking out the bass lines. (I guess I don't "hear so fast.")

There appears to be some software out there that is able to slow down the tunes while still keeping the pitch. I have SlowGold < http://www.worldwidewoodshed.com/ > but this does not seem to work very well in my opinion.

There has to be other software out there that some of you have used to accomplish this. (How do the guys in Bass Player magazine obtain their transcriptions? What software do they use)?

I would like to hear from other bass players who have developed methods to learn bass lines from tunes by slowing down the speed of the songs.

Thank you. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Default The Buck Stops...There...

Hi, S&W,

We're going to forward this question to Roy. Expect an answer within the next few days.
    Thanks!
    Ed.

I was considering geing a KORG P5XD or Tascam GB10. I have read a bit about these online where guys (and gals) use them to slow the music down without changing the pitch. I would still like to get one but between TMBG, bass lessons 1x a week and ensemble 1x per week I have my hands full... My teacher did not tell me (not) to get it as it is used for other stuff but kind of hinted at the fact that as I train my ear stuff will get easier and easier to pick up, tune into and figure out. Plus I think he wants me to pay more attention to learning the basics, reading and theory before I start playing with toys. Being the tech weenie that I am it is tough for me not to want something like this right now.

The Tascam GB10 Link is here:
    TASCAM GB10
    Bass Player Article on GB-10

The part of this KORG I was thinking of that would be helpful is this: Phrase Training is a fun feature for learning difficult material or for working on solos. You can record up to 80 seconds of audio from any external source and play it back repeatedly (looped) at a slower speed - without changing the pitch. This is a great way to learn complex or rapid passages by ear, since you will be able to hear the phrase slowly. You can also record yourself chording along with the built-in rhythm and bass accompaniment, and then practice your soloing skills.

LINK:

KORG P5XD

Last edited by FeltFedora; 12-14-2010 at 10:27 PM.

I use the Tascam GTR-1. It is a CD quality recorder also, so you can record stuff even if you do not have the mp the mp3 file.

The Tascam GTR1 plays Wave files and MP3. I ripped all the CD's that came with my various music books to the GTR1, plus any other songs I may want to learn. I can change the speed of the track without changing the pitch, I can also change the pitch without changing speed and effectively change the key. It has amp sim and effects, a built in tuner. It has Metronome and drum tracks. I plug the bass into the GTR1 directly if I am too lazy to take the multi effects out of the gig bag, and can listen through the mixer with everything else, or just plug the headphone into the GTR1 directly.

The GTR1 can work as a stand alone unit, I can plug my bass directly into it, and also the headphones, and I have a very small setup for travel or away from my practice corner. I can play along with the tracks, the metronome, drum tracks, or follow along with a lesson on GTR1.

The GTR1 is also a recorder with great quality which I use to record rehearsals and gigs, which is brutally honest.

Tascam makes many different "trainers" which can change speed without changing pitch, and can also change pitch without changing speed. Not all brands do this, some of the pitch changes (changing key) is only an "effect", not actually a setting. The GTR1 model is like a swiss army knife, it is small and fits in my bass bag, if I go away for a few days, I can take a bass and still keep up with my practice.
    Ray
    Bass4Gsus
    View my pictures at www.pbase.com/rjkpics

+ Reply to Thread