+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fretboard knowledge

Default Fretboard knowledge

Hi again,
    I am working from Disc #1 and Roy says to learn the fretboard - and I can't argue with that logic. However, what I am doing currently is working with each string (only E & A at the moment) naming out loud each fret from the 1st to the 12th and then from the 12th down to the 1st saying each note out loud.
    Are there any recomended ways (methods) to assist with learning the fretboard, to really help the info to sink in, any advice to aid?
    Thanks for your time and help,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by barricwiley View Post
    Hi again,
    I am working from Disc #1 and Roy says to learn the fretboard - and I can't argue with that logic. However, what I am doing currently is working with each string (only E & A at the moment) naming out loud each fret from the 1st to the 12th and then from the 12th down to the 1st saying each note out loud.
    Are there any recomended ways (methods) to assist with learning the fretboard, to really help the info to sink in, any advice to aid?
    Richard
    Certainly no expert, but I am at same spot. I am tackling a little differently, I am hitting all 4 strings, but first 5 frets. Don't know if either is better...

A computer program called Absolute Fretboard Trainer is what helped me learn the fretboard. I can not remember how much it cost but it was worth every penny. Just Google it and you should be able to learn all about it!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

4. Default Work in an office?

I spend my working day at a computer (sigh) so I made a computer wallpaper with a fretboard diagram on it. It's easy to grab a few seconds here and there to cast your eyes over it.

Works for me!

originally from Michigan now living in Ohio

Somewhere in the home archives is a BIG fretboard that you could print out and just glance @ every chance you get also make it a warm up just to go over each fret what helped me was to just say the notes over and over in your head hope this helps you Richard hi again the article is charting new territory and it's page 6 in the archives enjoy I know I do
    Last edited by c-note; 01-07-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barricwiley View Post
    Hi again,
    Richard
    Richard,

I posted the attached chart awhile back but don't remember where. It's something I put together and keep posted nearby and study when I have free time or need a quick reminder of where a note is the fretboard. Hope it helps.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Thanks John, c-note, cactoose and debitcred1

I printed out the chart on heavy paper, one for downstairs and one for upstairs.
    I am going to combine the thoughts and try to find the best way for me to remember and keep it on the fingers. Thanks again for all the help.
    Best,
    Richard

I have a little home made practice thing that teaches me the notes by FRET as well as by STRING.

This is my exercise:

Across the frets, the note pattern is:

E A D G C F A# D# G# C# F# B

I play this pattern all over the place and in many different ways, just like I do with notes up and down the board.

Second fret - E A
    Fifth fret - D G C
    Third fret - F A#
    First fret - D# G#
    Fourth fret - C# F# B

...or...

Fifth fret - A D G C
    Third fret - F A#
    Sixth fret - D# G# C#
    Second fret - F# B E

Just like with regular practice, I can start anywhere and with any note in the pattern.

My only rules are to stay within a five-fret range and use one finger per fret.

For me, it helps to break up the standard alphabetical order and gives my fingers a workout as I teach them to "crawl" from fret to fret.

Well Elmeaux, after scanning your post my head went Boinggggg!
    Gotta think about what you are doing exactly then I think I will benefit from it.
    I'll print it and work at it.
    Once again, Thank you.

Ive only just scanned this but it looks good, thinking outside the box too. I like it.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread