• Yes

4 44.44%
  • No

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulse

Default Pulse

Gather Round, O Denizens of the Row.

As we grow and adapt to meet the needs of our members, we would like to take your pulse.

Please answer the following question:

If a section was created on the Forum where professional bass players were brought on board to feature insider tips and tricks, and to make song lessons available for you to learn, would you be willing to pay, say, $2.00 or $3.00 for such content items on kind of a "pay to play" basis?

Feel free to answer simply as YES or NO, but we'd also appreciate some dialogue/feedback on the subject. As in, "Yes, but..." or, "No, because..."

Yes, but . . .

Only for the services of outside pros. We've purchased TMBG with the promise of a user group with access to Roy and others involved.

Don't want this user forum to turn into a place where anything other than the "forum" costs extra.

yes, maybe...

it would really depend what and who was being offered. it would have to be pretty special to fork out more cash.

Yes, maybe. It would have to be pretty special content. I can spend a few minutes searching on the internet and find a lot of great content. Hard earned cash goes towards the toys this bass players wants so parting with it for something else will need to be sonething really special.

Elmeaux:

I think you have a workable idea, but the proposal is uncertain. It's kind of like...would you pay $500 for a car? Answer...it depends on the car. If you can dial in the specifics, perhaps we could give you a more informed response.

It isn't even a proposal. It's just an opinion poll based on suggestions that have been coming up lately.

It's not like there's a slate of content or musicicans standing in the wings or anything.

When a suggestion is made by a TR member, the powers that be just wanna hear what ch'all think about it.

It's more or less just another item on the "What's Your Pleasure?" poll, but it required a bit more space than a single "I Want More..." entry.

Since this is a dialogue forum about it, does anybody (who thinks this is a good idea) have any thoughts on how such a thing would work?

It was said that there's a lot of free stuff on the net, so why would we pay? Would this be TR exclusive material then? Seen only by our TMBG members? Would you pay per song? Would you pay for access to a special Pro Musician's Tips section?

Those who don't like the idea say so because the purchase of the kit comes with certain promised content. To those folks, is there any content you think WOULD go beyond that? Is there anything you WOULD consider pay-to-play worthy, or are you happy with the type of content just the way it is?

It's all just round-table yapping.
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 01-11-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Well, I hope I don't offend anyone but, I have to agree with TobiasMan, we've purchased TMBG with the promise of a user group with access to Roy and others involved. Once the door is open where you pay for extras the door will never close and just keeps getting open wider and wider (speaking from experience) and I to do not want this forum to turn into a continuous outlay of cash to participate. This is just MY opinion and as I stated before, I hope I have not offended anyone as this is not my intent. Therefore, I personally would not pay any additional money!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

Well, speaking just for myself, I am not offended. This is a place to discuss a topic and no matter where you stand, your contribution to the discussion is what counts.

Well I think the question is more like this.

We already have the TMBG community here at Thunderrow with Roy's free support which comes with the TMBG Package as mentioned.

But what is asked is would you pay that 2 or 3 dollars for a lesson-type addition to this done by another pro player.

So for example (and not this is completely fictional) : Let's say that a pro like steve harris (Iron Maiden I hope ) offers a lesson on some of his playing techniques (I'm told he plays with 3 plucking fingers instead of the 2 most bass players use).

Because we cannot expect pro's to do this for free the option to pay a small fee for this special lesson was proposed with the question to the public (you) to see if there would be any interest to look into this.

If the general opinion here is that such extra's are not requested there is no need to start looking for pro's to do the lessons.

The lessons could be very diverse and you would be free to get whatever you wan so there is no obligation to buy those lessons or tips.

I hope I'm doing well explaining it.

So, bottom line is, let's have another example.
    (again total fiction at the moment).

The setup could look like this :

Lesson ID | Difficulty or Level | song | Genre/style
    001 | Beginner | Radar Love by Golden Earrin | Rock
    002 | Intermediate | Too many puppies by Primus | Slap
    003 | Expert / TMBG Chapter 10 or above | Black Sheep by Lane | Blues

so IF you are interested in slapping you could get lesson 002 only, and you would have access to a video or PDF or whatever (I guess the exact content of the lesson/tip should be provided also so you know what to expect before paying anything).

I don't know how this will work out for actual songs (copyright stuff) so it's possible there are no actual songs but more a "Run to the Hills Style" song by Steve Harris.

Again, this is just something that was brought up as a feature to make TMBG more attractive to others and there is nothing decided about this so like Elmeaux said. This is just TLD asking us what we would think of this. Also I guess other propositions are welcome so if you think you have a better idea (maybe something that doesn't require extra payments).

I can understand you don't want to pay more since TMBG was pricey already (compared to some other lessons available on the net).

Elmeaux did I explain it correctly here ? If not feel free to correct me
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Nope. I'm good.

We're just throwing suggestions and questions.