Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • No

5 55.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulse

It would really have to depend... more likely not. I am a huge Iron Maiden fan but not sure I want to spend even a few bucks to learn some tips or licks. (god knows I have spend enough on Maiden throughout the years - I own just about every recording they have ever released in the US) Honestly I would rather have a guy like Roy pop in or even other session bassists that really know music.

OT but FWIW I was reading recently that he (Steve H) actually only uses 2 fingers that suprised me. Billy Sheehan has a few good vids out there where he discusses his 3 finger technique.

But back on topic I would probably not jump on that. There is just SO MUCH available online and in books and DVD's I would not see much reason for it. TalkBass has a Ask the Pros section that is used quite a bit. TMBG is so different and so good branching out would take away from actually DOING THE COURSE. Still willing to bet a very small percentage of us have worked all the way through all the lessons. We should be given more motivation to finish the course rather than work on other stuff.

Maybe a submitted recording along teh way to show we are "getting it". Then give us a little forum award. God knows internet folk LOVE useless, worthless made up awards to boost our ego. I'd be on that quicker than Elvis on a whoopie pie.

Again I would rather Roy or a someone else with chops jump in and give an assignment now and again.
    Last edited by FeltFedora; 01-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Well you have some interesting arguments there.

Now about Steve H. that was just an example. There have been no discussions on this with ANY professional player at this time.

The reason for the 2 or 3 USD is to give an incentive to do these sessions. I can understand people expecting Roy to do it at no charge but you cannot expect the same from someone like Victor Wooten for example.

Both Elmeaux and I are "normal" members just like you all and while I cannot speak for Emleaux I can agree with some of the arguments against this idea. And the whole reason of this poll is to get just that, the pro's and cons of fellow members to see if this is worth looking into. It would be a waste of TLD's money and resources to set-up this system just to find out that we don't feel a need for this).

The reason why the suggestion of other studio players was to bring in some professionals who have better understandings than Roy.

Now, I'm not saying Roy is not a great teacher or a great bass player, but let me try to use an analogy that our former Red Cross Chairman once told in one of our Fist-Aid lessons :

he said : "I am a 'Spe******t' (Radiologist) and I don't say that to brag, but to make clear that I'm specialized in one specific subject (Radiology) I do have the same basic education of medicine but there are some parts that a "regular" doctor has much more experience with and a better understanding. So it is possible that some questions you have are better to as a "regular" doctor than me"

Now, maybe we can see "Roy" in a similar fashion, if we see Roy as the "regular doctor" with great understanding of most of the Bass related subjects it is possible that another Professional player who is more specialized into 1 specific field (maybe a Metal bassist, a Pop & Slap bassist, a bassist who almost only uses a Pick, ...)

So these extra lessons could be for example a more "in dept" lesson on howto play with a Pick (I'm not a big fan of this but I did notice (at least up until Lesson 3 where I'm at now) that it's very limited in the TMBG cource).

The students who want to improve their "Pick" skills could then get that specific lesson and the once who don't feel a need for this lesson can just leave it as it is.

You are correct, there are some good "free" resources out there on the net. So the content that should be provided for this fee should be of high quality so that it's worth the price you pay for it.

But anyway, As We've said several times, this can be seen as a form or "brainstorm-session" where TLD asks our opinion and ideas to get an idea if this is a added feature that is worth looking into.

You do have some good suggestions there.

Maybe a submitted recording along teh way to show we are "getting it". Then give us a little forum award. God knows internet folk LOVE useless, worthless made up awards to boost our ego. I'd be on that quicker than Elvis on a whoopie pie.
    Well I don't know how many have posted a video or MP3 of their playing here until now but I have the impression that I'm the only one posting MP3's and Elmeaux is the only one posting some vids from time to time.
    But maybe with some kind of award system it might catch-up.
    I don't know if Roy has the time for this, but maybe somekind of grade can be given for a specific song ?
    So if you post a version on your "Improv: You play it" you would get a grade (1 to 10 ?) for that song so you know that when you have (let's say) 7 or Up you are ready to move to the next level.

Again I would rather Roy or a someone else with chops jump in and give an assignment now and again.
    Good idea, but then there should be assignments for all levels (from lesson 01 to Lesson 20). But I don't know if it's possible to find other players (other than Roy) to make those assignments but I guess it never hurts to ask ?

Maybe somekind of official diploma can be given at the end of the TMBG course ? And to stay on the Puls subject. Would you pay a small free to be able to do those assignments and get an official diploma after finishing the course ? (so you can show you're friends you have graduated as a Bass Player) ?

Anyway,
    I'm going to forward this to David and see what he thinks about this.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Default Maybe another course would be better.

Actually, I was wondering if Roy (or anyone else at TLD) was planning a TMBG "Part 2". Perhaps TLD would better use their time in starting an "Advanced Bass Techniques" course rather than another bunch of short web courses. Perhaps with other "Pro's" lending their ideas and techniques in sort of a "roundtable course. Only a random thought from a newbe, but just thinking of the future.

Honestly, our teachers are not on here often enough as it is, or should I say, as often as I expected. Lane was doing great when he was here, he always had something new to offer. I dont have an issue with this as almost 99% of the discussion on this board is not related to actually practicing the course.

I was thinking just the other day, where are all the questions about the course, lesson specific questions? Did we all master each chapter or are we surfing the net and these boards when we should be practicing and generating these questions?
    I know Im guilty!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Honestly, our teachers are not on here often enough as it is, or should I say, as often as I expected. Lane was doing great when he was here, he always had something new to offer. I dont have an issue with this as almost 99% of the discussion on this board is not related to actually practicing the course.

I was thinking just the other day, where are all the questions about the course, lesson specific questions? Did we all master each chapter or are we surfing the net and these boards when we should be practicing and generating these questions?
    I know Im guilty!!
    I'm no master, that's for sure. I'm teetering on the brink of starting lesson 7.

I agree that the forum is essentially a social hub as opposed to a technical place for lesson specific questions.

I kinda like it that way. Questions come when they come, and there are some very knowledgable people who pop up to answer them, but they don't rule the place. Each of the forum topic areas gets pretty well used - er, except the ASK ROY forum. I would like to see more there too (as did most of the voters in the polls), but knowing how busy Roy is, I'm not sure I'd feel right about asking for more of his time.

If I was to speak perfectly frankly, I'd say the ASK ROY forum might have been somewhat of a "bite off more than you can chew" thing when the forum was being set up, but I won't question the good intentions of those involved.

I think there will be some great times coming once Roy begins to post the "in the style of" songs. Hee hee...Motown, here we come!!

Jeff, are you feeling disappointed about the way the forum is being used? Would you like more lesson specific talk? How about some brainstorming here?

If the ASK ROY forum could be re-tooled to be simply a place to discuss the lessons individually without necessarily waiting for Roy to respond, would you enjoy it? Roy could naturally speak up whenever he wanted to, but if a person asked a question, they wouldn't just be waiting for ONLY Roy.

See, I think there's kind of a hierarchy protocol in the ASK ROY forum that tells us, "When someone asks a question, the polite thing to do is wait until Roy speaks before anyone else answers." As a result, if Roy is too busy, the questions there often stagnate with no responses. It can leave a person feeling neglected.

Maybe if we kind of took charge of the ASK ROY forum as more of an open discussion where anyone could answer. What do you think? Would it be a more inviting place for lesson questions and talk? To separate the daily social gabbing from the lesson stuff?

Great posts, Jeff and Arnisdaddy. Keep the dialogue alive!

No no, Im OK with how everything is. The forum is fine, the course is great. I personally would rather the ask Roy forum be left to the pros but thats just me.

Default We're listening...

I just want you folks to know we're listening to what you have to say and, while we don't want to make the mistake of trying to be all things to all people, are determined to provide valid and valuable content as well as conversation and information we think would be of interest to our members and visitors. Meantime, I hope you members are taking advantage of the MP3s, charts, and graphics we're posting under Resources.
    Thanks for your input!
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post

I know Im guilty!!
    I kind of feel the same way. Although I enjoy the chit chat, the articles, the contests (go Gretsch) etc., I also expected the pros to contribute a little more often. I don't have many issues on the lessons and if I do, I find a way to work it out. What Roy/Lane and the other pros do contribute is always helpful and appreciated.

I have noticed that only a few dozen of the hundreds of folks on the fourm actually participate on the forum. Where is everyone? Are Roy's lessons so good that they don't have questions? Is there another reason they don't participate (did Ralph scare them off )? It would be great to get some feedback from those folks as to why they don't participate. Is this just the nature of discussion forums?

Thoughts?

I agree. I'd like to know why more members don't drop by and join in the various topics. Is it the content? Is the course not working out for them? I guess not everybody is interested in online participation.

Some folks buy the course, sign up for the forum, and then we never hear from them again.

To use a different educational analogy, I see TMBG as the Bachelours degree of bass playing. It provides great basic training in a wide variety of things, but if you want to specialize, you need to get a Masters, and that would be a different course.