+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Strings

Thumbs up New Strings

I have no idea how old the strings were on my bass. It was used when I bought it and who knows how long they were on before that. So the other day I got it in my head that I wanted to try a new set of strings. So I stopped by my local music store and picked up a set of Fender (med/light) flatwounds. I already had my sights on some flatwounds before I walked in. I have been listening to an unhealthy amount of old Motown stuff recently and being the poser I am could have nothing else

Brought them home, unwrapped an installed them. All I can say is CREAMY THUMPALICIOUS SMOOTHNESS... I absolutely love the sound and feel of flatwounds. To me they sound the way I want my bass to sound. The sound takes on a different dimension. They literally make me feel like I am playing a new bass. They felt almost a bit tacky when I first was playing them but last night I noticed that feeling is gone and they are as smooth and quiet as butter when your fingers slide up and down. As long as I only have one bass I see it probably being strung with flats from here on.
    Last edited by FeltFedora; 02-13-2011 at 07:49 AM.

FeltFedora,

Welcome to the "flats" club. I put flats on my Ibanez the same week I bought it and haven't gone back. I love them Your description of the sound and feel is spot on. I still have the round wounds on my G&L just to give them a chance and also to have a different sound from the Ibanez. Some songs just don't sound right with flats.

John

BTW, what brand did you get?

Congrats!! I, too, am a fan of flats. I use D'Addario Chromes.

I also recommend half-rounds. As smooth and buttery (CREAMY THUMPALICIOUS) as normal flats, but with a slighly punchier sound.

I like the light and really light gauges...

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Half-.../dp/B000OR89CK

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Half-...7610338&sr=1-2

Does this mean you'll be making a video in the near future?

I use flatwounds on my Peavey Cirrus 5 and I can't imagine putting anything else on my bass. Those strings produce such a warm, rich tone and are noticeably quieter than roundwounds when playing "busy" basslines. Maybe that means I need to work more on my muting technique. IDK. On songs that require a brighter sound, I just increase the treble and midrange and that does the trick for me...there's nothing unhealthy about Motown, FeltFedora.

Here's a track of Jamerson's isolated bass on "Whats Going On". His bass tone was killer, imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtELR5GyfI

Quote Originally Posted by Bassix View Post
    Here's a track of Jamerson's isolated bass on "Whats Going On". His bass tone was killer, imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtELR5GyfI

So smooooth.

Has the move to flatwounds affected the intonation of your bass, anyone?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Jewell View Post

Greg
    Did not mess with mine.. still spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Jewell View Post

Greg

Its been about a year since I put mine on. I don't think the intonation changed.

Have old flatwounds on my Fender P bass and they seem to just fit the character of that bass to a "T". Don't think they even go out of tune much anymore and no impact on intonation at all.

I know I know it's not the same or maybe it is??? All I have to do on my Line6 5 string is flip a switch make that turn a knob and it's flat wound Jazz or P bass!!
    But I sure wish I could afford the Maxi ma 5 string Gold plated strings, I use to love them and 3 times with cleaning and using Fast fret they lasted for years and all the strings would go out at the same time. But at around $130-150 a set, that's like buying a new bass!! Well maybe one day?

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/b...ts.html#maxima
    Of course that is why I started using them because of John Entwistle!

line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

+ Reply to Thread