Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hear The Light

Default Article: See The Light

- low life -

Let's see...off shore manufacturer, an optical system that must be kept clean (dirty light / lens means degradation of perception), technology that may not be settled science as applied to bass guitars...it may need time to prove itself to the industry. But it offers a new and creative approach to traditional pick-up engineering.

It's not a new thing. Been out since about 2005. I had just never seen it before.

It's a speciality market, for sure, but it has a pretty impressive following of bassists who use it.

I like that sound.... Would like to hear it through TUBES!

You think GENZ is paying that guy?

5. Default

I've been playing a 5 string LW on and off since the early 2000's. The bass is definitely not for every one but the bass does sound nice. There can be a slight learning curve in regards to setting up the action and intonation the instrument. The qaulity is very nice and the weight is very comfortable. One of the more interesting aspects of the LW is how much low end one can get from that oddity of a pickup system. And the lows are not muddy at all. Very clean and even.

The best thing one can do is give a Lightwave bass a spin yourself. You really might be surprised at what you discover.

Jauqo

Hey, Jauqo -

Good to hear from you. If there's an LW at NAMM in Nashville this summer, I'll give it a try. Hope to see you there!
    David

7. Default

Thank you David. Definitely check one out if you see one at summer NAMM.

Jauqo

A bit of resurrecting an old thread here, but I was searching the forum for anything on this bass. I think (depending up an answer from the manufacturer about fretless vs freted) I'm pulling the trigger on one tomorrow. Looks like an interesting bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Alan View Post
    A bit of resurrecting an old thread here, but I was searching the forum for anything on this bass. I think (depending up an answer from the manufacturer about fretless vs freted) I'm pulling the trigger on one tomorrow. Looks like an interesting bass.

Jauqo's our expert on the LW. I'm currently doing an interview with him (coming soon). I know he posted a couple of replies to this thread, but if you need any more info, visit his website and maybe drop him a line. He's a kind and generous man. I'm sure he could give you some info that would help in your decision.

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/

- low life -

My biggest concern about the fretless was placement of the side markers. I just got my answer moments ago. I'm not fond of lined fretless fingerboards, which appears to be the majority of their fretless basses. The side markers get put between where frets would be rather than exactly where a fret would be. I had a Rick fretless a couple years ago like that (less the actual lines on the fingerboard) with less than desirable results in my playing. I've since become very used to side markers where a fret would be on my electric upright. I know, I know, just develop a better ear and none of this matters, right?

If I cannot find an unlined fretless of theirs (because I would simply like a different sound in the arsenal to better justify the purchase), I would not be heartbroken to go with a fretted model. So far the sound on video samples is quite nice.