Thread: fender american vintage 62 precision bass

1. Cool fender american vintage 62 precision bass

Hi all, i just received my fender american vintage 62 precision bass(love the motown sound) anyway i just want to know how do i drill the holes by the bridge to put the chrome piece over it.I dont want to mess up this expensive bass.Will it make a difference in sound whether i play with the chrome pieces on rather than off.When i ordered this bass i thought it came pre-drilled already with the holes in place but to my surprise the bottom chrome piece does not come pre-drilled.The middle chrome piece has the holes already in place but i still have to drill the holes to hold the chrome plate in place,,Any advice?? I appreciate it..Thanks

Did the box it came in have a paper template that you're supposed to lay over the bass to show you where to mark the holes?

That's how it's usually done. You lay the paper down in the position they tell you and then mark the screw spots with pencil.

Maybe take it to the store and ask them to do it.

Or, if you're brave, go online to have a look at the positioning, and...

- low life -

First and foremost, if you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a good guitar tech.

If you are a DIYer like me, then here are some thoughts:

Get a drill bit slightly smaller than the screws.

Position the bridge and use a pencil to mark where the holes go. (Edit: if it has a template like Elmeaux says, so much the better.)

Use an awl or punch to lightly dimple those spots - this will keep your drill bit from bouncing along the top and marring the finish. (Your bass has a nitrocellulose lacquer finish, I believe, which is far more forgiving and repairable than poly finishes, but why leave it to chance?)

To help keep from drilling too far into the wood, I like to wrap a small piece of masking tape around the drill bit where I want to stop drilling (at the length of the screw threads, usually).

Drill, baby drill. Be careful!

Also, I believe the pickguard is predrilled for the pickup cover, but you may still want to pre-drill into the wood there as well. (Same steps with the awl, too.) This can help keep the wood and finish from cracking when you put in the screws.

Again, if you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a good guitar tech.

Quote Originally Posted by slejhamer View Post
    First and foremost, if you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a good guitar tech.

If you are a DIYer like me, then here are some thoughts:

Get a drill bit slightly smaller than the screws.

Position the bridge and use a pencil to mark where the holes go. (Edit: if it has a template like Elmeaux says, so much the better.)

Use an awl or punch to lightly dimple those spots - this will keep your drill bit from bouncing along the top and marring the finish. (Your bass has a nitrocellulose lacquer finish, I believe, which is far more forgiving and repairable than poly finishes, but why leave it to chance?)

To help keep from drilling too far into the wood, I like to wrap a small piece of masking tape around the drill bit where I want to stop drilling (at the length of the screw threads, usually).

Drill, baby drill. Be careful!

Also, I believe the pickguard is predrilled for the pickup cover, but you may still want to pre-drill into the wood there as well. (Same steps with the awl, too.) This can help keep the wood and finish from cracking when you put in the screws.

Again, if you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a good guitar tech.
    Dido on all above...great advice....when I had my fenders...i left chrome piece off...just a matter of preference....good luck and congrads on the bass !!!

5. Default response to vintage bass

No it did not come with the paper template as a matter of fact after carefully inspecting the bass it was a used one that they tried to sell me.I've been waiting for this bass since January only for them to try and sell me a dusty not packed right bass.tThe pic guard was scrachted,no protective plastic wrapping whatsoever so i simply called them and told em that i was not happy on how they tried to fool me into selling me the floor model so i took my business elsewhere,,Yes i sent the bass back today.And thx for the advice on the drilling part,i appreciate it,,Basscat

6. Wink fender vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Ctbass&birdsong View Post
    Dido on all above...great advice....when I had my fenders...i left chrome piece off...just a matter of preference....good luck and congrads on the bass !!!
    Thanx buddy i appreciate that will do it myself when i get another bass.Musiciansfriend tried to sell me a used bass and take me for a fool or tried to.After carefully inspecting my bass i noticed that the strings were tuned bass guitars normally come with the string loose,there was no bubble or plastic to protect the bass.The pick guard had no protective cover which was scracthed and there was dust on the neck and fretboard i simply gave em a call and returned the bass.I took my business elsewhere,but thx again will keep ur advice in mind when i receive my new bass..

Quote Originally Posted by basscat View Post
    Musiciansfriend tried to sell me a used bass and take me for a fool or tried to.
    Sorry to hear this. I've done a lot of business with them and never had a problem. I hope this is something that is not developing into a trend!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!